Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Propane Prices ?
Mark, the price sheet I posted earlier had the bulk rate, which was $3.80251 per therm (0.955 gal) plus $12.50/month for South Hilo general service. Residential rate was $8.50 per month & $0.07 higher per therm....though most of our neighbors do have the big pig tanks...we just do not see a benefit with the little amount we use...

Commercial accounts less per therm, but have higher monthly costs...
So why is Hawaii gas charging $6.40/gallon? Something doesn't seem right.....
Puna: Our roosters crow first
quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

I'll tell you whut!

HD5 Propane Quality - Fact vs. Fiction

Retail propane companies that advertise "highest quality propane" are actually selling propane that conform to the specifications as required to be labeled and sold as HD5 propane. An important fact to note is that there is no higher grade than HD5 propane available for resale through retail propane companies in the United States...HD5 is the highest grade propane available to U.S. consumers. A company stating that their propane is of a higher grade than HD5 is inaccurate in their claim. As presented above, a tank holding pure propane contains what is classified as HD5 propane.

I just called Hilo Propane and got a detailed summary of the different grades of propane sold on island and how HP offers the highest grade. Wouldn't they be liable if they were being dishonest? Same as I heard from the manager at Ace.

quote:
Originally posted by glinda

quote:
Originally posted by Punatic007

I did ask a manager at Ace who told me the exact same thing as my technician who will remain unnamed, he doesn't want any new clients.

Instead of getting pissy, a couple of you could do your own research and graciously share the results.
Yes, you've made many a statement that would lead us all to believe you have a vivid imagination, and probably a lot of make believe friends (so do my grandkids so you're in good company). But be that as it may, I believe there is only one source of gas in the islands. They are currently called Hawaii Gas. From their website at:

http://www.hawaiigas.com/about-us/

it says:

"Since 1904 Hawaii Gas has been the only franchised gas utility in the State of Hawai'i.."

Which would lead one to ask if your technician suggests a second source what it is? Where is this superior gas coming from? Who's shipping it in? Has anyone seen their trucks? A facility down by the docks? I did a google search that didn't bring up any other company but Hawaii Gas. Got any clues where we might find reference to this second source?

Not that I am getting pissy or anything.. I'm just curious.

Edited to add: I do know of a higher grade (maybe "higher grade" isn't the right term?) propane that Hawaii Gas sells to commercial users but that burns hotter. The one person I know that gets it is a glass blower that needs it to get his kiln hot enough. It's a commercial product that isn't available for regular consumer use and as such wouldn't be what your tech guy is referring to, or is it?

What is up with you? How strange....what's your angle in attacking me? Do you sell cheap propane?

For the record I do have a fabulous imagination thank you for noticing and I also hold myself to high standards of integrity. I hope some day you can see the value of ethical behavior.
In the US, "propane" means "HD5" as defined by ASTM Standard 1835: minimum 90% propane, not more than 5% propylene, not more than 5% butane/ethane.

If the product is labeled "LPG", it may or may not comply with HD5, usually with higher butane content in warmer regions.

Add enough butane and the nozzle will be different, such as with the "town gas" (mostly butane) kit included with some on-demand water heaters, orofice is a different size than either propane or natural gas.

100% "pure" propane would be odorless and therefore a disaster waiting to happen; I doubt this is for sale over-the-counter.
Pahoa Ace today it is $4.89 plus tax.
Hawaii Gas- Subsidiary of McQuarie Infrastructure Company, NY,NY.
Which is a subsidiary of Mcquarie Group of Sydney NSW, Australia.
FWIW.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

In the US, "propane" means "HD5" as defined by ASTM Standard 1835: minimum 90% propane, not more than 5% propylene, not more than 5% butane/ethane.

If the product is labeled "LPG", it may or may not comply with HD5, usually with higher butane content in warmer regions.

Add enough butane and the nozzle will be different, such as with the "town gas" (mostly butane) kit included with some on-demand water heaters, orofice is a different size than either propane or natural gas.

100% "pure" propane would be odorless and therefore a disaster waiting to happen; I doubt this is for sale over-the-counter.

Exactly! HD10 is also available but for specific commercial uses only.
If I remember correctly it's an Amerigas ship that brings it to Hilo. Maybe hawaiigas buys from them. Propane is imported from places like the mainland, Australia, Asia... because Hawaii can't produce enough of its own to supply demand, from the crude oil they import from mainland, Asia, etc. What is produced here is a natural gas substitute. Or (S)ynthetic (N)atural (G)as.. made on Oahu, for Oahu.
So here's the summary:

Ace: $4.89
Makuu: $4.59
Orchidland TV: $5.28

Everywhere else: ~$5.00