Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Someone flying a drone at Kaloli Pt.
Our military is aware that shooting down a drone with small arms is just not practical. Your slingshot has less than zero chance of success.

The preferred methodology for the Army is a drone jammer - http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/...-u-s-army/ the Air Force is now testing a new shotgun round that fires a net - https://kitup.military.com/2017/03/skynet.html

Whatever happened to 'flying the friendly sky'?
Per KJ
Whatever happened to 'flying the friendly sky'?

It went the way of passenger pigeons and orange sunshine.
Slow Walker
After the hurricane someone did some great drone filmage of the damage. I really appreciated it.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Like EightFingers, I have no problem with drones, and they can be exceptionally useful. However, in this particular case, the drone was being used in a manner that was consistent with spying on people in the backyards and in their homes. In addition, it was being flown over properties late at night. That kind of behavior is not acceptable.

For the great stuff they can do, Opihikao posted a link after Iselle which demonstrated this:

https://youtu.be/tRZriynYNCA

Incidentally, the number of close calls between aircraft landing at airports and drones flying illegally have increased dramatically in the last year or so. It wasn't long ago a plane hit a drone but fortunately, the damage wasn't too bad. There's a real concern amongst pilots, though, that a bad accident is almost inevitable. (AKPilot might be able to chime in here).
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

After the hurricane someone did some great drone filmage of the damage. I really appreciated it.

If all drones had a "moderator" we could trust who respected peoples privacy it would not be a concern.

Otherwise there are many of us who have ill will towards them.

They are like strangers walking up your driveway.
Slow Walker
It's 11:36 PM and they're flying that thing. Is there a reason to be flying it at this time?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
8F - please drop me a line - <email address deleted>. I'll inform the local neighborhood watch. In the email, could you give me your approximate location?
Bull****. Got any leftover fireworks?
It's 11:36 PM and they're flying that thing.

Also illegal under current regulations! Isn't great that we have "rules and laws" that are "for everyone"?!?!

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/

Must keep the aircraft in sight (visual line-of-sight)

8F and TomK..as I said I know the source of where this is coming from. I've spoken to PAKA's admin, a friend of mine. He said he'd be sending an email out. My husband has spoken to the young man and he was told there was concern over the drone flying over properties during the day and night. He knows now. There was nothing sinister about his activity. It's new, he's learning to use it...there's no zoom camera on it.

8F, was the drone flying next door or over your property? He lives near you and if he's flying the drone over his own house or in the empty lots next door.....

We may be getting into jurisdiction beyond NW. The admin is a volunteer and goes way above and beyond his duties as it is, which we so appreciate. I used to be a patroller for a few yrs and this wouldn't have been something we would get involved in...not criminal activity. It's time to assess when/if the lines were crossed. I haven't read all the links provided here on this thread... I'm not defending this activity..it was flying in the empty lot next door to us.

I remember people asking Kaloli Pt's NW to take care of things that were neighbor issues, and were instructed to contact the police themselves. Sometimes a friendly chat w/your neighbor may fix the problem... These are nice people who are transplants from Alaska. They are still adjusting to close proximity of neighbors.

So the question now is where exactly was the drone flying last night? Over your property, right next door???? I personally wouldn't want to burden the NW with something that "may" be a neighbor issue, not criminal. 8F, you can contact me if you want more info.