Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poof
Albertini's cheap little meter cannot tell the difference between normal background radiation and radiation caused by depleted uranium. He could probably find those same "radiation spikes" in your home's front yard, gypsy...
Depleted uranium isn't radioactive, for the umpteenth time.
spikes of radiation and desecration of the pohakuloa area should be of great concern

Spikes of homelessness and chasing away of revenue should be of great concern....

FTFY
Albertini's cheap little meter cannot tell the difference between normal background radiation and radiation...

His detector probably works just as accurately to identify alternate facts. If he turned the little boxxy thing around in his general direction, he'd probably observe a few spikes.

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Depleted uranium isn't radioactive, for the umpteenth time.
------
Not entirely true. It does emit mainly alpha and some gamma particles, but it does not add anything significant to normal background radiation, which is why I mentioned that in the other post I made. In other words, Albertini is slightly lying to the public who doesn't know better. He plays on the big scary radiation word.
Leilanidude, sorry, that was aimed at the protestors, not you. You understand what "depleted" means!
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron S

I heard through a reliable source that Ben Magec – Ecologistas en Acción
sent a letter to the backers of the TMT project expressing their opposition to the construction of this telescope in the Canary Islands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Magec_...cci%C3%B3n

Further more Ben Magec has a history of protesting telescopes there.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.eldiario.es/lapalmaahora/sociedad/ecologistas-cimentacion-telescopio-Cherenkov-Roque-revision_0_562393794.html&prev=search

quote:
"This is a clear example of the new territorial policy of the Canary Islands Government. With the excuse of streamlining the procedures, it disarms technicians and competencies to COTMAC, it pays homage to the arbitrariness, and is left to the municipalities of small municipalities like Garafía at the foot of the horses . This is the same legal uncertainty that awaits us with the Land Law, "they say.
opposition to the construction of this telescope in the Canary Islands

Wonderful news! Does TMT have a third location picked out? Maybe the surface of the Moon?
third location picked out? Maybe the surface of the Moon?

They should start talking to Elon Musk and pencil in for an early flight to Mars. Less regulations there from what I hear. The bad news, Martian canals are unpaved and substandard.

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Depleted uranium is the leftovers from making "Enriched" uranium.
Natural uranium contains about 0.72% U-235. Nuclear reactors fuel needs the U-235 content be about 3%. Using centrifuges and chemistry, natural uranium's U-235 content can be concentrated in the middle of the centrifuge. That portion has been "enriched" to the required 3%. The leftovers are referred to as "depleted" uranium, and while it has less U-235, it is still somewhat radioactive, but not so much as to pose a significant health hazard. The military uses it in ordinance not because it is radioactive, but because it is very heavy and good at piercing armor.