Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting Rid of Squatters
An agreement for barter for services is a form of rent. In the scenario above your neighbor was a landlord and the person in the Ohana was a tenant.

The law treats tenants and squatters differently. If somebody doesn't pay their rent, or perform the barter, they have tenant rights. You can't get caught evicting them with a shotgun.

ETA: You can still invite strangers to stay in your home. So long as there is no expectation of compensation (money or barter) they will be squatters when they are asked to leave, not tenants. (aka, you can be holding a shotgun when you "ask" them to leave (J/K?)).
Mahalo for the clarification Terracore.

I greatly admire your shotgun toting neighbor! Don't mess with Tutu!
Our other neighbor spread a jar of paint thinner on a squatted structure and "let an errant cigarette run it's course". Don't mess with psychos either, apparently.
Many work/trade agreements are verbal. All a squatter has to do is say "we had an agreement" and they will have tenant rights. Your word against theirs.
So now we need a "non rental agreement" signed and notorized to protect ourselves from the "my word against theirs" predicament.
That will probably help your case in a similar way that a lease agreement helps you to evict tenants. But you still have to go through the lengthy and costly process. I would agree that squatters are the property owners' responsibility if there was a legal mechanism in place to evict them quickly and efficiently, but there isn't, and that is not the fault of the owner.

We love hearing about the shotgun approach when it works out, but it's a pretty big chance to take.
quote:
Originally posted by YurtGirl

The place I'm thinking of is a cesspit. Never was permitted, it looks worse than the shanties in Tijuana, Mexico.

When they leave to rip off houses AKA get supplies...

Throw a few flairs in the corners of said cess pit... Problem solved in more ways than one.

Or have someone go in and remove the tin off the shabin, and or knock out the windows, doors, walls...Hard to live with no roof, doors, walls, windows, etc...

I'm not sure if there is electricity there, never thought to look... I don't think there is though. The walls and a lot of the roof were removed previously. They just hung tarps instead. I'm honestly hoping someone will flick a cigarette too close to a can of paint thinner there...

Melissa Fletcher
"Make yurts, not war" Bill Coperthwaite, 1973
http://qpublic9.qpublic.net/qpmap4/map.php?county=hi_hawaii&layers=parcels+gsatellite+roads&mapmode

Look up the address of the property owners and ask them if they are willing to do something about it..