Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayor Kim trying to ban vacation rentals.
"they're only planning to put an end to non hosted, short term rentals in non permitted districts.
I'm in favor of this scheme. "

And why is that, if I may ask? I assume you're not keen to pay more tax.
short term rentals in non permitted districts

"Non-permitted districts" is a clever euphemism for "almost everywhere" -- hotel uses are only allowed in CG and V zoning, which is nearly nonexistent.

I assume you're not keen to pay more tax

Don't forget: TAT is remit to State, who "generously" shares some of it back; the actual impact to County's budget of a TAT-evading unpermitted B&B is questionable, even if you accept the notion that "all the taxes will go up anyway".
quote:
Originally posted by tweez

Plus, this is not the solution to the problem of affordable housing shortages on the BI.

I wasn't aware that we had such a problem.
It is a big problem. During construction booms the area got over built with 3+2s leaving a big shortage of smaller units for singles, elderly and young couples.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
a big shortage of smaller units

Easily fixed with some "tiny homes" legislation! Except that failed because "concerns".
I would suggest that Ohana Dweling Units be allowed on AG land as they are on small residential lots.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I would suggest that if County can bend the existing rules to create a "homeless village", there's no reason they can't adjust the rules to allow an "elder village" -- and those elders would be paying some property taxes...
Tiny homes, modular homes, and even mobile (manufactured) homes could help with affordable housing, but entrenched powers don't want them. And yes, I know mobile homes have structural and socio-economic "issues," but they build them better than they used to and they can be cable fastened to increase storm resistance.

Geting back on topic, I honestly think that taking down the number of short term rentals would result in economic damage that would dwarf any benefit from licensing and taxing "legitimate" units. Of course, your point of view on that subject would depend on whether your version of the "right" people are benefiting.
Why not let the market decide? If you cannot afford to live here, maybe it's time to move...
I agree, Joe, and free market principles should allow tiny, modular, and manufactured homes without artificial restrictions.