Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
up to 1 gigabit fiber NOW available in Orchidland!
"I'd gladly pay $100 a month for 1 gigabit internet!"

That is the "introductory price" for the first 3 years. No idea what the rack rate is. The 500 Mbps speed is $345.00/month according to:

http://www.hawaiiantel.com/StandardInter...fault.aspx
"I'd gladly pay $100 a month for 1 gigabit internet!"
------------

Use wifi and you won't actually get anything close to that. Stay wired, my friend...
The gigabit is symmetrical too... Plenty of bandwidth to hui with neighbors.
Just to close the loop, I submitted an online order on Saturday 11/4 and website said I'd get a call back on next business day. Monday 11/6 (next business day) at 11:30 a.mm I got call from Hawaiian Tel to follow up on my internet order, and service is scheduled for install first week of December. Rep offered me TV until she realized I was in Keaau, then said only internet is available at this time. Our combined monthly bill for phone and internet will increase by about $10, but we're going from 15 Mbps internet to 300 Mbps.
KR, can I bum your wifi password? ;D
We get upgraded on Dec 12.
100 down/20 up.
We have been working our mainland jobs from here on DSL. The only issue I have experienced is with large file uploads. This is with 6 down and 1 up.
Years ago when planning this move a stable internet connection was a major worry. Now we have FIBER!
We inquired online. Hawai‘i Telcom responded on the second business day.
I am very happy with them.
What infrastructure is required? Do you have to have a 6" steel pole w/ground rod installed for them to pull the cable to?

Installing a ground rod is a huge challenge here on pahoehoe. It would almost be less work to pour a 5' x 5' pad just for the concrete encased electrode. Would that be permitted?
When they installed our DSL the “grounded” the connection by clamping to a plastic pipe!
Thanks for the thread. I'm on vacation and had no idea, other than talking to the telcom linesman last month when he was installing fiber. I called and was fortunate to get a November install. She also said the landline becomes fiber, and if the power goes out, so does the phone. That's unfortunate and will require a Plan B backup.

As for online tools, I've never found either Telcom or Spectrum to be especially accurate. When I moved to Orchidlands the Spectrum tool offered me cable and high speed internet.
She also said the landline becomes fiber, and if the power goes out, so does the phone.

I thought the regulations forbade this.