Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Topless in HI?
I too have seen Mrs. Mimosa (or perhaps a niece or daughter?) mowing au natural on 8 Rd. Whoever it was was certainly much too young to be a great grandmother!
Thank You dayna - us wahine have glands - they are meant to give nutrition when we bear offspring .
These glands of ours consist of lymph nodes - milk ducts - fatty tissues and nerve endings .
The male gender seems to go to great lengths to ogle our glands whether we go topless - are in bikinis at the beach or not wearing the bra which men will never understand as they are very uncomfortable .
Western society is so puritan istic where in most of europe being topless is the norm .
Even on the tele in europe - nudity is no big thing .
Boys though will be boys and even grown men will be boyish when it comes to a females glands.
Nope not related to our ohana on Rd 8 being topless.We teach them better and they know the consequences should us elders find out.
Mrs.Mimosa
"Western society is so puritan istic where in most of europe being topless is the norm."

Let me just correct one thing. Most of Europe counts as western society! Wink
You sometimes see male practitioners of Hawaiian culture dressed in the traditional malo or loin cloth but you never see the females in traditional clothing which was a simple skirt with no top. Mrs Mimosa says it's unnecessary puritanism but at the same time forbids any of her ohana from going topless. About twenty years ago I recall a female hula dancer dared to dance topless at the Merry Monarch festival. I think she was trying to start a trend since this is the way hula was done in the old days. Needless to say it didn't catch on. I guess the point I'm trying make is that this shame of going topless taught to them by the missionaries is still here. The irony is that the Hawaiian activists/practitioners seem to have rejected everything the missionaries taught except this.
Good luck "preserving" any cultural norms. Culture is alive, adapting and evolving, consuming and being consumed. Hopefully being proud of our bodies will come back into popularity.
About twenty years ago I recall a female hula dancer dared to dance topless at the Merry Monarch festival.

Would you have a link? That sounds like it would have made the news.

"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm." -James Madison, The Federalist Papers, 1787
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

About twenty years ago I recall a female hula dancer dared to dance topless at the Merry Monarch festival.

Would you have a link? That sounds like it would have made the news.

"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm." -James Madison, The Federalist Papers, 1787

It did make the news. It more than twenty years ago, 1993.

1993: TOPLESS MISS ALOHA HULA
http://merriemonarch.staradvertiser.com/...-memories/
Tom - yes correct - in Europe as a general rule - wahine being topless is much more accepted than in U.S.A. and the mindset of so much pron in media .
Mrs.Mimosa
Thanks bystander!
Her performance no doubt was well rehearsed to keep it family friendly. As you noted it didn't catch on, but I'm surprised it didn't. With enough long hair, and leis, it would be entirely appropriate, and culturally appropriate, even for the televised audience.

"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Yeah you would think something like that would catch on with the emphasis on tradition these days. The men can dance scantily clad in nothing more than a thong but the women need to be covered up. That's how it is though. A show featuring topless women dancers would not be considered family friendly today. But why does it have to be that way?

I think there are two factors. First there is the shame leftover from the puritan/missionary days which is more prevalent here than on the mainland where it still exists, more so than in Europe. If you see a topless woman here, she is highly unlikely to be a local. Then there is the fear of unwanted male attention. The first actually brought about the second factor by creating a taboo so the sight of a topless female became an erotic thing for males. It's like in Muslim countries where the sight of a woman in tight jeans or with her hair exposed would arouse the men.