Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A boar
quote:
Originally posted by MarkD

(But some local guys have hunting dogs trained to engage. Multiple dogs grab the pig; the hunter comes up from behind and stabs the pig with a big knife. Pretty ballsy.)

Do it without the dogs and I'll call it ballsy. Otherwise, you're merely harvesting what your dogs have chased, attacked, bit, and exhausted.
Multiple dogs grab the pig; the hunter comes up from behind and stabs the pig with a big knife.

If this took place as described, in an enclosed area, with spectator seating, beer and peanuts for sale, you'd have a full house every Friday & Saturday night at $20 bucks a pop.

SRO

"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm." -James Madison, The Federalist Papers, 1787
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Locals call it dog and knife hunting. It is quite common.
"Do it without the dogs and I'll call it ballsy. Otherwise, you're merely harvesting what your dogs have chased, attacked, bit, and exhausted."

The tusks on big pigs commonly slice dogs open bad, and have the potential to do the same to a person. As many hunters of different animals worldwide have found out to their misfortune, hunted animals that appear exhausted or dead are often neither, and can suddenly jump up and do great damage.

Heard a story of a guy tusked bad in the arm trying to knife a pig. Heard another story of a pig that broke free from dogs and charged the hunter who had to scramble up a rock outcropping and hurt his leg in the process. But those were just stories.

If you are an expert on dog and knife hunting and know those things never happen, then I will defer to you.
I heard a story from a reputable source and confirmed by the victim himself where a pig turned the tables on a dog and chased him back to the owner. On the way past the pig hooked the owner in the groin, compromising some major blood vessels. He would have died had his wife not been a nurse. She reached inside his leg and slowed the bleeding otherwise he might not have made it.

I don't think it was a hunting situation, just a dog scaring up a pig with unintended consequences.