Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electricity
Average about 50-60 a month. I'm very Frugal.

Got all LED lighting, One of the most effient fridges that HD / Sears sell. NO AC, LED TV, run fans, Laptops and charge cell phones.

Cook and Heat water on Propane.

Taxes and Connection fees alone run around 30 bucks a month just for the privilege to see the wire hooked up to your meter. Go Solar if you can... But then ... GET a huge dog ... since solar panels on the roof is like ringing the dinner bell to every meth head crawling down the street
We have on demand gas water heater and gas stove too. 20 gallons of propane lasts us at least 6months for 2 people and we cook and use the shower daily.
Thank y’all so very much! Y’all are the best!

www.photographyaina.etsy.com
quote:
Originally posted by Kenney

We have on demand gas water heater and gas stove too. 20 gallons of propane lasts us at least 6months for 2 people and we cook and use the shower daily.

Does the propane just do the stovetop or does it do the oven and stove?
We have electric stove but we have a camp propane oven (has two burners on top) in our lanai we use for baking chickens and cooking frozen pizzas etc. It sips the propane and more importantly being outside the house, we can bake a big chicken in there without heating up the house:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013LLSZG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=pw016-20&linkId=66c294f8a30febf139667950704d107d

ETA: Need to add it was invaluable for cooking after Iselle.
We have all electric and our bill runs between $110 - 115. We have no AC and no dishwasher. We do have two propane fireplaces for heat. I am thinking about getting a gas stove but prices from Hilo Gas are expensive. Wondering how much it would cost a month compared to electric. Being from California, the only price difference I have found painful is propane...in California it runs $2.75 a gallon.
Stacey
Living the life in Cali and Hawai‘i
Our propane stove has 4 burners and an oven Roark. We’ve had better luck with it than the ones they sell at Sears and Home Depot. It doesn’t rust as fast. Its a Brown, made in Tennessee. Easy to get replacement parts from them. They used to sell them at Hilo Propane. It’s the smallest one they make but fits perfectly in our house and the oven will hold a big turkey pan just fine,with a rack to spare.
quote:
Originally posted by Kenney

Our propane stove has 4 burners and an oven Roark. We’ve had better luck with it than the ones they sell at Sears and Home Depot. It doesn’t rust as fast. Its a Brown, made in Tennessee. Easy to get replacement parts from them. They used to sell them at Hilo Propane. It’s the smallest one they make but fits perfectly in our house and the oven will hold a big turkey pan just fine,with a rack to spare.

Thanks Kenny for also mentioning a brand. We have an electric now and are ready for a change. We would like to do solar for the waterheater, but we need to look at the cost.
We love our gas stove. No matter what’s happening, the stove works. It was great after Izelle. We were able to cook for 12 days and empty the freezer and feed ourselves, neighbors and everybody working on the power poles, even though the electric was out for almost 3 weeks. Everything else went to the dogs or hens. ( BYW, hens don’t like shrimp. What a stinky mess...)
I’d love to go totally solar eventually , but for now, a generator will have to do in emergencies.
Upgrading takes a bit of time if you’re on a budget. Maybe this year! Good luck Roark!

quote:
Originally posted by ericlp

Go Solar if you can... But then ... GET a huge dog ... since solar panels on the roof is like ringing the dinner bell to every meth head crawling down the street

I had not considered this, how serious are you being? about the dog and theft..

Cant wait to live in Puna!
Cant wait to live in Puna!