Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confusion on H-130
Yeah. I am a motorcyclist for over 50 years now, and when riding, that is a constant problem.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Sensors are inductive, not weight; attach strong magnets to the underside of the motorcycle. Places with a significant number of motorcycles will often install a more sensitive loop in the front.

It's only necessary to roll back and forth once, slowly, just far enough to put your car over the second loop. In some cases, rolling up to the limit line very slowly will work. The trick is to get your car over both loops so the signal "sees" more than one car waiting.

The 7-11/Huina intersection slopes down from the highway, shifting to neutral makes for a nice slow roll. I sometimes park at the 7-11 and walk over to J Hara just so I can use the signal to get out during rush hour.

(Because the loops are inductive, they only work when they're right on the surface of the road; this is why they have to be rebuilt when the road is repaved.)
I think it's a different situation at the new light on Hwy 130. As Birdmove said, there was a long line of cars. My experience as well. The extra cars didn't seem to trigger a faster green signal. When that long line of cars waiting to turn left starts encroaching on the thru traffic lane it becomes an additional strain on the merge. Allowing the cars that are waiting to turn left to go during the multiple breaks would help to alleviate this situation and the frustration that goes along with it. A flashing red arrow would accomplish this.
Allowing the cars that are waiting to turn left to go during the multiple breaks would help to alleviate this situation and the frustration that goes along with it. A flashing red arrow would accomplish this.
--------
Exactly. Something else that is done all over the rest of the world...
The extra cars didn't seem to trigger a faster green signal.

That's a configuration problem. Perhaps we can beg State to come in and fix it.

Something else that is done all over the rest of the world...

Can't just rush a solution into place. We need studies. Lots of them.
I think the traffic is double of the estimate the state used to design the intersection
Then there are those who will wait endlessly at a stop sign for the green light to appear.

I think the traffic is double of the estimate the state used to design the intersection

More likely, State is using traffic counts from 10 years ago, simply because the goal is job creation, not traffic mitigation. Now that the new improvements are obviously inadequate, State can start the cycle again: more studies, a design, RFPs for construction, etc.
Can't just rush a solution into place. We need studies. Lots of them.

Another option would be to have the green arrow turn to solid green for the duration of the green thru cycle.

Oh crap, a second option would triple the length of study time....
Have to admit I didn't consider the left turn into Shower when I last posted. I nearly always turn off at Kaloli so didn't realize it was so bad at Shower.