Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna traffic cams no longer available?
don't forget we live on an active volcano.

And yet, two years after Pele nearly wandered into Pahoa, causing businesses to close down and pack up inventory, here we are. Almost all of them are open again, and a major new shopping center is under construction.

With, as kalakoa pointed out, the requisite building permits and full code compliance. If all of us have to follow the rules while we live on an active volcano, is it too much to expect the people instituting and enforcing those rules to follow them as carefully as they require of us?

Does the state discourage us or facilitate our actions? Roads have been widened, a roundabout built, and a new stoplight installed. What does that look like to you?

Recycle Puna. Humans, although probably not you personally, have already left 400,000 pounds of trash on the moon. - YouTube's Half As Interesting
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
kalakoa @ 09:31:26 02/01/2018-
everything you say is based in context- political, economic, social, etc.
therefor I think you have the best take on our issues and needs.
You are OK. Thank you for your so-called "whining"- it's not.
It is a real appreciation and understanding of how Hawaii and Hawai'i work.
Thank you.
is it too much to expect the people instituting and enforcing those rules to follow them as carefully as they require of us?

Careful with your criticisms, there -- you wouldn't want your paperwork to get "lost" somewhere...
kalakoa @ 09:57:36 02/01/2018-
Exactly.
And Amen!
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

The problem with politicians is the voters and their short term thinking.

http://marshallbrain.com/manna1.htm

Hmmm kinda off topic or maybe not, but this is a good read as well!

http://marshallbrain.com/second-intellig...ecies.html

back to the traffic cam... Back in Billies days.....I heard that project was funded both by department of transportation and some other government establishment? The parks? Anyway....

I remember Billy saying that the cams were put up to track? or view the lava running down 130. So, since there is no lava coming down 130 is why the funds dried up?

I'm surprised the cameras lasted as long as they did to be honest. I think only a few of them got vandalized. So did they just leave the camera's up or did they remove them all?

About Punatraffic.com
Punatraffic.com was created through a partnership between Hawai‘i’s Department of Public Works and the Hawai‘i Civil Defense. Punatraffic.com offers information on transportation conditions and the region’s roadways as they are affected by the K#299;lauea lava flows. Travel Times will be provided along key routes into and out of P#257;hoa, a network of traffic cams have been deployed and are available for viewing. This site will also have information on traffic incidents and weather alerts. Users can also access Social Media feeds from supporting transportation and emergency management agencies.

Travel Safe. Travel Smart. Mahalo.

wouldn't want your paperwork to get "lost" somewhere...

Yes, that's right. And no circular files needed when plenty lava tubes conveniently available, here on a volcano.

Recycle Puna. Humans, although probably not you personally, have already left 400,000 pounds of trash on the moon. - YouTube's Half As Interesting
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
HOTPE said: Does the state discourage us or facilitate our actions? Roads have been widened, a roundabout built, and a new stoplight installed. What does that look like to you?

The work for that new stoplight was held up for a couple of months because the state's own permit for the work was allowed to expire and they couldn't seem to find a way to expedite its renewal or replacement. That's just one relatively small example of local and state government incompetence when it comes to contracting public works.

All the projects mentioned by HOTPE cost more and took longer than they would have had they been Federally controlled projects instead of just partially funded by the Feds. (The roundabout was done in an exceptionally timely manner for locally controlled projects, but that was a rare case, and it could have been done for less money.) When we look at the Saddle Road improvements of the past eight years or so, we see a totally different picture. Thanks to no-nonsense Federal control, there were none of the expensive delays, "change orders," or cost overruns we have come to expect from state and local projects.
the state's own permit for the work was allowed to expire and they couldn't seem to find a way to expedite

Related example: they "can't" work at night "because permits would cost more".