Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Coco Palms for you!
How did the Native Hawaiians gain possession of the lands before they sold them to Europeans?

Did the Native Hawaiians buy them from the Tahitians or Menehune?

How did Kamehameha 'unite' the islands? Did he buy the land from the other chiefs?

How did the Europeans gain possession of the land? Did they kill people?

Would the Native Hawaiians respect the White acquisition of their lands if the same techniques were used?

Generally, the use of real estate agents, bank loans, title companies, and land court filings was not the preferred method of land transfer in the Hawaiian Kingdom.

A few examples of ownership changes in the Hilo and Puna area can be found at the link below. Here's one:

Umi and his army headed southeast to Puna and defeated the Puna chief Huaa at the battle of Kuolo near Keaau. Umi’s army then moved south and may have set up headquarters at Ahuaumi. From there he set to attack the amazing blind Kau warrior ruler named Imaikalani at the battle of Kapaliikua. Imaikalani could throw five spears with each hand*, and had the help of forty spear carriers and his two birds that guided him in battle, but he fell to the crafty general in Umi’s army named Piimaiwaa
http://www.hawaiianwarfare.com/pages/bat...d/hilo.php

* highlighted because, wow, I would see a movie with Imaikalani in it
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Maybe they wouldn't care either way because they'd be gone Kalakoa.
"How did Kamehameha 'unite' the islands? Did he buy the land from the other chiefs?"

Land was not bought and sold. It and the people who lived on it were controlled by the chiefs.

Did the native Hawaiians exterminate every last member of the earlier races (genocide)? Maybe. Or maybe they let some of them live under their rule.

In the past (pre-contact Hawaii) large areas of lands were used communally by all. And there really was no such thing as homelessness. That didn't mean ordinary Hawaiians could simply set up camp near present day Kailua-Kona, a favored site of royalty. But there was a place for everyone somewhere in the Hawaiian islands.

Our institution of private property, which includes some individuals or families owning huge tracts of land, gives us a far different situation.
MarkD, those were all rhetorical questions.
I don't think homeless people give a sh*t if they are on private property or land ruled by royalty. I suspect, to them, it's the same. They just want somewhere to live. In this case, I don't think it's homeless people trying to find somewhere to live, it's a group trying to say they own the land and have the say as to how it's used. It's very much like the TMT protestors when it comes to Mauna Kea.
An interesting update, to say the least:

http://www.thegardenisland.com/2018/03/0...uch-court/

"LIHUE — County Attorney Mauna Kea Trask on Thursday cautioned activists who occupied the grounds of the former Coco Palms resort and continue attempting to win title to the property that they are basing their arguments on the authority of a fake court whose “chief justice” is a registered sex offender.

The individual identified as chief justice was convicted of three felony counts of sexual assault in 1998 and sentenced to five years’ imprisonment, according to a letter signed by Trask Thursday morning.
"
Oh boy - there's a name with some mana behind it - Mauna Kea Trask. These 'protectestors' may have met their match!
Read the whole article. That's just the appetizer!