Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What was the Golden Age of Hawai'i?
don't forget surfing with random ducks randomq Big Grin

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UaxN3ib_zrk/maxresdefault.jpg

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile
... fruit trails around the island... nearly silent electric quadcopters. Robots grow gardens everywhere, free for the taking... Hawaii is a major starport and interplanetary destination... shuttles spin launched... from Kau... telescopes on Mauna Kea spot a planet-killer asteroid...

randomq -
Nice! Your description of a possible future for Big Island sounds fantastic, one I would happily live in. But, and I know I'm not the only one wondering about this, will there finally be a futuristic Costco in Hilo? Or can we at least get HomeDrone delivery from the Kona store here in Puna?

Portion of Hawaii’s drinking water that comes from underground wells : 9/10
Gallons of raw sewage that leak into the ground from Hawaii cesspools each day : 53,000,000 - Harper's Index
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
OK, I'll be the first to say it:

Impossible, because Gub'ment.

However, you do paint a nice picture for the imagination RQ.
'The Golden Age of Hawaii' has not happened yet, imho.
I agree, it just gets better every year.
I think a lot of what randomq said is achievable, but unfortunately we have too many people opposed to any change whatsoever.
quote:
Originally posted by Mimosa

When the territory of Hawaii Nei was Hawaii the Territory and NOT a state from Americana.
Before cell phones - the internet and jet travel .
Those were our Golden years.

In other words, when we were all 50+ years younger - with more free time, more energy, less money, and fewer responsibilities...
Glassnumbers... as with any question that has an opinion based answer, the answer to you question would vary by WHO you are asking the question & WHEN you are asking it,
For the respondents, many variables would change an answer... much like asking ANYONE
When were you the happiest?
When did you feel fulfilled?
When did you feel successful?
as one travels through life & as this island chain has gone from an insect/plant/ bird dominated biome, to humans first contact, to European first contact through many different human based socio-political changes....I am sure that you may be able to see how a "golden age" vary based on the eye of the beholder, & could change throughout the lifetime of each individual beholder!
Perhaps the golden age will happen when people don't think of stocking up on toilet paper. Wink
From 1959 forward it was the Golden age of surfing in https://www.theinertia.com/surf/hawaiis-...rfect-era/
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
Before Fire ants and COE KEY frogs.
After WW 2 when raising a family was less of a soccer mom mini van type of existence .
Before the influx of tourists and jet travel .
Before Big Box outlets and red lights .
When there was no crime on the island as is so rampant today.When pau hana meant starting at 9am and pau work at 3 in afternoon.When Hilo town shut down when the surf was up.
Those days were our golden years .
Before 4 lane road and cane was king.
Before subdivisions in puna .
When Hawaii Nei was still a territory and not a state. ( State of confusion ).
Before internet or amazon or fake book .
Those were our golden years .
Before 420 and hippy's .
When Sears was an outlet and ordering an item took 6 months to arrive by slow boat.
When petrol was 9 cents a gallon in the old jalopy .
Before safety stickers and weight tax .
When it was common place to ride the horses with wagons to town for supplies .
When hilo had electric trollies and a family knew all other ohana.
Before ....................

Was our golden years - in the 1920s through the 1950s.

A simpler more laid back type of life .

Mrs.Mimosa