Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So... If you were going to buy a truck...
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

That's tempting. What's wrong with it?

Rusted driveshaft and brakelines.
Back taxes.
stop A N D go Quandary... Seems apropos to Puna in general.
I hid some innocuous stuff (blankets, tools, tarps, paracord) in my vehicle when I shipped it over and they didn't notice or care. Stuffed things in the spare tire compartment, the little hatches used for storing the jack and accessing lights, everywhere but the cabin or glove box.
On another note I have read that some people have managed to ship their vehicles loaded with personal items, has anyone been able to do that and if so, how and with which carrier?
-----------
I shipped over a vehicle inside a container of "household goods" which allowed me to use the inside of the vehicle. However, they still charged me the tariff for shipping a vehicle, on top of the container fee....
quote:
Originally posted by JimHAPuna

Possibly a 2x with beefed up suspension?

Maybe so. Bottoming out on rocks isn't great for a vehicle. You can put extra leaves in the rear, not sure how you'd strengthen the front end. I don't see any benefit in fat tires, only the disadvantage of more weight and worse MPG.
The advantage of 4WD is primarily ground clearance on the rocky roads, though sometimes the extra traction comes in handy. A small bulldozer got stuck in the muck at my place- which is fairly flat- and had to be pulled out by a 6x6. Just one hole and a bit of slippery, wet soil can be a real problem. If there is any grade on your property then you're going nowhere in the muck with 2WD.
I have an unmodified old 4x4 Nissan single cab. A smaller vehicle is sure convenient for parking, as is the open bed for hauling stuff.
I'm not a car guy so probably using the wrong terminology. I don't mean fat as in wide tires, but ones with a high aspect ratio (more air between rim and ground). I've seen some sweet new lifted 4x4s lately with huge rims and thin tires, and all I can think of is what a rough ride they must have. Well, that and how someone can afford a $50k pickup.
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

On another note I have read that some people have managed to ship their vehicles loaded with personal items, has anyone been able to do that and if so, how and with which carrier?
-----------
I shipped over a vehicle inside a container of "household goods" which allowed me to use the inside of the vehicle. However, they still charged me the tariff for shipping a vehicle, on top of the container fee....

That's what you get for telling them there was a car in there! I shipped my vehicle over in a container full of 'Household Goods'.
Thank you all so much Smile
mahalo nui loa!
Ship on P.A.S.H.A. - Hilo 1st port of call.
A family member a few months ago bought a Rav 4 in Las Crusus N.M. and drove it to Long beach Cali to ship ova.She put better tires on it in Ariz and had it under coated ova there before shipping.Tune up and top of line shocks as H.A. rds will take a major toll on bushings and shocks / struts .42 mpg on average .And no rust.Hard top.If you need a 4x4 occasionally - just rent one at Harper's down 4 mile near dock.
Mrs.Mimosa
The money I saved from buying and shipping from the west coast more than paid for the 2 week roadtrip we took in said new vehicle, and airfare for two r/t.