Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Delivery
"And now I know the dude and the guy"

(In my best Tommy Chong initiation voice) "Yeah, yeah, I know that dude and that guy man!"

Glad it's all worked out!
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
(01-31-2024, 04:36 AM)HiloJulie Wrote: "And now I know the dude and the guy"

(In my best Tommy Chong initiation voice) "Yeah, yeah, I know that dude and that guy man!"

Glad it's all worked out!

I actually heard that in his voice when I read that.  Thanks for the laugh.
For those interested with regard to replacing your catchment tank.... The price of a new 10,000 gallon corrugated steel tank installed in HPP is between $8200- $9000 (depending on who you go with). Our insurance company paid the complete replacement cost from the lowest bidders estimate (minus deductible). But they also withhold 20% for something called "recoverable depreciation". Proof of completion of the new tank is needed to release that money. Also the company with the lowest bid (Waterworks) wants full payment in advance before they begin. I've learned from living here that you never pay in full for work that hasn't started. So we're still looking.
(02-08-2024, 06:16 PM)macuu222 Wrote: For those interested with regard to replacing your catchment tank.... The price of a new 10,000 gallon corrugated steel tank installed in HPP is between $8200- $9000 (depending on who you go with).  Our insurance company paid the complete replacement cost from the lowest bidders estimate (minus deductible).  But they also withhold 20% for something called "recoverable depreciation".  Proof of completion of the  new tank is needed to release that money.  Also the company with the lowest bid (Waterworks) wants full payment in advance before they begin.  I've learned from living here that you never pay in full for work that hasn't started.  So we're still looking.

We just got quotes a few months ago and Island Catchment was cheaper than Waterworks (and not by just a little bit).  But they raised the minimum wage since then so maybe they had to increase their prices.

You might want to get a quote from The Catchment Dude.  He does full tank installs.  He also told me that Island Catchment manufactures the tanks and liners that all the companies use, so regardless of who you go with, you're getting their products.  They import the steel panels and plastic and have a shop in Shipman where they bend the panels and weld the plastic sheets into the catchment shape.

Thanks for the info Terracore. I didn't know that "The Catchment Dude" existed. Will give him a call.
This post couldnʻt be more timely. We have been told that our catchments (yes, two of them) are both in danger of catastrophic failure. Contacted Island Catchment and havenʻt heard back from them yet. Been waiting three weeks on Hawaii Catchment for the bid after they came and looked and tried to leave a message for the Catchment Dude but his voice mailbox was full.
We tried to get a quote from Island Catchment. They wanted $90.00 to come down and look so we tried others that didn't charge. Also....and I did not know this. Island Catchment and Waterworks are both owned by the same person.
(02-09-2024, 12:02 AM)kalianna Wrote: This post couldnʻt be more timely.  We have been told that our catchments (yes, two of them) are both in danger of catastrophic failure.  Contacted Island Catchment and havenʻt heard back from them yet.  Been waiting three weeks on Hawaii Catchment for the bid after they came and looked and tried to leave a message for the Catchment Dude but his voice mailbox was full.
Who told you they were in danger, and how was this determined?
(02-09-2024, 12:02 AM)kalianna Wrote: This post couldnʻt be more timely.  We have been told that our catchments (yes, two of them) are both in danger of catastrophic failure.  Contacted Island Catchment and havenʻt heard back from them yet.  Been waiting three weeks on Hawaii Catchment for the bid after they came and looked and tried to leave a message for the Catchment Dude but his voice mailbox was full.

Try texting him.

(02-09-2024, 02:43 AM)macuu222 Wrote: We tried to get a quote from Island Catchment. They wanted $90.00 to come down and look so we tried others that didn't charge. Also....and I did not know this. Island Catchment and Waterworks are both owned by the same person.

They are apparently owned by the same person but operate much differently.  For example, Waterworks came and gave us a quote for free.  I didn't know that Island Catchment charged a fee.  And like I previously had said the quotes we got from Waterworks were higher.  Maybe because their office in Hilo has higher rent?

Waterworks wanted to install the new liner over the old liner.  Catchment dude said that wasn't a good idea because the liner needs to be removed to properly inspect the tank and make sure there is nothing sharp under it, and also that when the tank is empty (a prerequisite for installing a new liner) it sags down away from the walls and its impossible to get a good install over something like that.  Normally he cuts and removes the liner, leaving just the part on the top to give extra padding over the abrupt edge of the top, and he leaves the bottom to provide extra padding over the ground, but he still has to pull it up and inspect underneath of it, and when doing that to mine it was so old and brittle he said it was going to be a liability rather than an extra 25 mil of padding.  

Basically I had the impression that Waterworks didn't want the extra hassle of removing and disposing of the old liner. I originally thought that leaving the old liner in place was a good idea, until I learned the reasons why it wasn't.
Island Catchment didinʻt mention anything about charging for their bid but we decided to stay with Hawaii Catchment. Theyʻve done all the maintenance here for several years. They said theyʻre not busy right now and could replace the catchments next week. Nice folks too, Lina, Rex and Tom. It took three weeks to get their bid but now full steam ahead. Our catchments are 40 years old!