Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP Traffic Pattern
Traffic is a living thing that changes course from time to time not unlike a river. Some people get flooded while others stay high and dry.

Rivers can get dams and spillways whereas traffic can get speed bumps and other 'calming' measures.

If the waterway or road is public then we would rely on government for a solution but in the case of private ownership then we would rely on the owner for a solution.

As far as a solution goes for 130 spilling it's banks, I'm not holding my breath.
in the case of private ownership then we would rely on the owner

Perhaps HPP will learn from OLE and simply close the "problem" roads. It's not legal under County Code but the fine people of OLE "seem to be getting away with it" as is traditional for Puna.
Who is "we" and why does this come across as an automatic response from hotel management when you say something was bad and not what you paid for? - Tomk

Tom: You, wanting to know who "we" are, is just weird and a little scary.  If you follow the thread, you should have no problem comprehending.  If you think it's bad, you got what you paid for.   
Keep it local  Heart
simply close the "problem" roads. It's not legal under County Code

In years past, residents of Opihikao-Kamalii Road placed palm frond speed bumps across the road.  There’s also a street in the Maku’u Hawaiian Homesteads (between HPP & Pahoa) (not on the highway) where several homeowners have constructed an obstacle course of various piled items in the street in front of their properties, with signs, that require less than a 5 mph speed to traverse.
While the HPP BoD cannot control access on the main entry roads into HPP they can control access on the privately owned residential roads.

They could install gates at the south end of the roads in question leaving the north ends open for residents and emergency services. The gates could be closed during certain hours in the morning and reopened after the rush hour.

Is the Bod capable of achieving such a solution? Probably not.
While the Orchidland barricades were successful in stopping the cut-through traffic on those roads, it also was a substantial inconvenience to the residents. But I have a suggestion for HPP:

Put barricades at the mid-point of the trouble roads. Residents would still have access with very little inconvenience, and the cut-through traffic would be eliminated.
I understand that the roundabouts scheduled for Kaloli and other streets have been de-scheduled due to if I remember the article correctly greatly improved traffic flow on 130 and no longer needed. So they'll divert the funds to other purposes. Meanwhile living in mid OLE I am so grateful for the light at Pohaku Drive. I along with others traverse across 34th. The light is about 2.5 minutes wait during the morning rush hour and the cones but mid day it is much shorter and seems dependent on whether or not there is traffic coming down Pohaku-and across from Shower.
Put barricades at the mid-point of the trouble roads. Residents would still have access with very little inconvenience, and the cut-through traffic would be eliminated. - My 2 cents

Brilliant.  It could easily be done randomly, periodically, and informally by the suffering residents as in the examples provided by HOTPE.  Anything that removes predictability and convenience for self-centered commuters will encourage them to take the path of least resistance.  
Keep it local  Heart
The Opihikao situation is one of necessity as the sudden double hairpins have sent vehicles careening through fences in the past.

The Palm fronds have been bolstered by a sign warning about flying rocks.

Gated roads seem like a prudent solution that might possibly, maybe encourage the County to address the need to add extra lanes to 130.

Eminent Domain should be used to expand into the properties directly abutting the highway. Cue the rotten fruit...
The Opihikao situation

And since the 2018 lava flow, real speed bumps have been installed all up & down the road. 
(Probably due to extra traffic to Pohoiki, with the 4 corners access still closed?)