Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wild pigs and our pets
quote:
Originally posted by Dave M
...The guy told me they just shoot em in the trap.. that kind of turned me off....

Er um... how else you gonna kill it once it's trapped? A good bullet to the pigs head sure beats getting kicked in the face by a flailing leg.

Typically you shoot it once in the brain...then gut it at the neck with a knife and drain the blood keeping the blood for "Blood Meat".

-------
Glob
"Er um... how else you gonna kill it once it's trapped? A good bullet to the pigs head sure beats getting kicked in the face by a flailing leg.

Typically you shoot it once in the brain...then gut it at the neck with a knife and drain the blood keeping the blood for "Blood Meat".

Er.. from about a 100-150 yrds, with a well placed shot, from my 30-30 if I don't find me a 45-70 next weekend.. It's kind of a sporting thing, you might not undertand. Shootin them in the trap is somewhat equivilent to some of these Game Ranches around here that feed the same deer the same time every day right up to opening day then they let all the city hunters come out to the ranch, for a fee, and shoot the deer from about fifty yards away.. Then the Great White Hunter has the head mounted and tells all his buddies how he sat in the blind, that he made, waiting, and then he made the danm shot from 225 Yrds.. [Wink] [Big Grin]

I have been around when someone was cleaning a pig, just didn't take notes. I have cleaned a lot of animals, I bet I can figure it out. As for shooting them in the trap, you'd be surprised what I'd shoot if my family was starving..

Hey, is that house next door to you still for lease? [:o)]

Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

Blessings,
dave

quote:

... you'd be surprised what I'd shoot if my family was starving..

Hey, is that house next door to you still for lease?

???????????????

"One time I picked up a guy here on the mainland and after about 2 miles he started beating on my cab window yelling let me out. (He was in the bed of my truck) so I pulled over and he jumped out and was staring at me like I had done something rude. As I pulled back on the Hwy I noticed he was right back hitching.. Curiosity got the best of me and I had to pull over and look in the bed of my truck to see if there was rattlin snake in there are somthing.. I still to this day can't figure out how that hitch hiker figured out I was going to eat him later.."
(Dave M ,from the hitchiking thread)
quote:
...you'd be surprised what I'd shoot if my family was starving..

Hey, is that house next door to you still for lease? [:o)]

Not if your family is Starving [:o)]

The house next to ours, the "For Rent" sign came down at the beginning of this month.

There is still a couple other vacant houses...but not sure what the status is on them.

Back to the wild pigs.

I'm amazed at how brazen some of these pigs are. We have about 20-30 that roam our farm. We have two dogs that bark at anything that approaches them.

These pigs will literally go right up to where the dog's chain ends and sit there and dig in to the ground and tear things up right in front of the dogs!

They literally seem to play "Chicken" with me as I'm driving up the gravel road...sometimes crossing right in front of my Jeep.

They will all be eaten within the next few years[Big Grin]

-------
Glob
Sporting ethics are good, I believe in them, but where pigs in Hawaii are concerned there is a goal to be kept in mind. They don't belong in the Hawaiian forest, although some people going back generations don't feel that way. Anyway, if you want to catch a lot of pigs, which you should for the sake of the forest, traps are effective. If you do catch pigs, for the sake of the forest you should not let them go again. At that point it is sporting, humane, and ethical to shoot them in the trap. If I catch a rat in a live trap I dispatch it with a pellet gun.
I thought the point of catching pigs in traps or with dogs was so that you could grain feed them for awhile to improve the flavor, and if male cut them first, for the same reason.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I don't recommend grain feeding them unless you like the fat. a wild pig will have a much leaner thus healthier meat.
as far as shooting them in the trap makes sense you only need a 22 cal.
I raise two pigs a year one for my partner and I and one for our parents for Christmas.

and my butcher uses a 22.cal rifle from about 10 feet away.
I personally cant stand the flopping around they do when they get shot, its not like they just go quietly, they scream bloody murder and flop around for a good 5 min.
So when I have mine butchered I leave when he gets here. so I don't have to have that imprint in my mind when I am eating them. I try to name them stupid names so not to get attached, like patty and link. But as an animal lover its still hard. but we still have to eat.
maybe shooting them in a trap would stop some of the flopping around, I would hate for one of those 300 pound pigs to land on me, and when they start flopping they can cover a good 20 feet or so. and I've seen them go as high as 4-5 feet in the air.

setting my soul free....
setting my soul free....
It's your choice how fat you want them. The purpose of feeding them is to reduce the gamey smell and taste. I don't know about the Hawaii wild pigs but the ones in the southern pine woods can get rank, especially the boars. The exception can be the ones running in citrus groves or the like. Boars taken right out of the piney woods can be very nasty and would only be edible after a long viniger marinade followed by being bar-b-qued and then sauced. You can make anything edible with that method. Of course it all tastes the same.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Good stuff Oink and Lostboy,

As for the gamey taste, most of the pigs around here are full of deer corn from the feeders and it does make a difference. Same with Lostboys farm raised pigs. I've had sausage from some very wild west texas bore and you can certainly tell the difference.

Some of the guys around here actually hunt pigs with a 22 mag as well as a new round called the HMR .17 witch is just a hare bigger than a 22mag but the .17 has much more powder. Their placement preference is an ear shot. I know if they shoot them in the trap they shoot them with a 22 in the ear as well.

As for the whole "shoot them in the trap" thing I started in that I beilieve I said "it kinda turned me off" well that's been taken outta context.. 1st. Although, I know how to build and bait a pig trap I don't really like the idea of trapping and all the situations that come with it.. (Mercy killing etc..) 2nd. If, by chance, I did build and bait a pig trap and then catch something in said pig trap, such as...a pig. Then obviously I would shoot said pig.. as opposed, to what I think one poster wrote, "kicking it to death" [?]

And as for the other poster who assumed, I guess, that I would catch them in the trap, that I don't plan to build, then I would let them go back out to destroy the rain forest. Umm.. whatever dude.. if the rain forest is counting on my shooting pigs to save it, we have a problem.. Now I do catch and release some fish but I dont think I've indicated here or in any other thread that I had planned on trapping and releasing pigs.

Blessings,
dave

Blessings,
dave

Back to Korea I was stationed their in 91 and they were still eating kaogi I think that's the spelling for dog when your ordering it on the menu. I just couldn't do it.
But to walk down through the market and watch a guy on a moped with a 200 pound pig strapped to the back just squealing away, while 20 women with pots were following as fast as they could. Poor pig could see them coming at him. What a calling card for fresh pig.[Big Grin]

setting my soul free....
setting my soul free....