Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aloha Puna!
Robguz -

Thank you for saying what I was afraid of saying!

Many of us have many things to learn about being Politically Correct.

At least Mr. Marzi attempted to answer the question. Maybe by his answer, you can form your own opinion on his knowledge of the subject.

He's still a young gun.... so I wouldn't be to harsh on him for not being P.C.

-------
Rally For the Plan
Robguz asked a direct question, and I agree that he did not get an answer. It isn't a question of being "P.C." with the terminology, either. Instead of coming out and making his position on these issues clear, Mr. Marzi chose to give some suggestions for making the legislature more accessible. While that concept is laudible and the methods suggested modern, it does NOT tell us where the candidate stands on civil unions or other issues important to gays. And no, Damon, he doesn't get a break for being young when he is running as a progressive alternative to the status quo.

So please, Mr. Marzi, answer the question.

Cheers,
Jerry
Robquz, Damon, and Jerry: I don't understand what the problem is here. Apparently, it's wrong to call homosexuals homosexual? Isn't that what they are? I'm bisexual, and I have no problem hearing and saying so. How can we expect progress if we can only refer to ourselves by an acronym?

As for Marzi, I think he did answer the question, which was "What will you do for Gays?" (Apparently 'gay is more acceptable?) He said that he will allow you to submit and vote on legislation. I think that is reasonable. I certainly don't expect him to put aside the problems of the general population (traffic, hospitals, schools, etc.) to cater to me; that's our role. He proposed to give us the tools we need to make progress; the rest is up to us. There are a lot of homosexuals in Puna, that's for sure. But like you said, they are retired! They have the time and money to work for change; all they need is the effort.

BTW - Since when are gays concerned with PC???
I don't think it is unreasonable to ask a candidate how he will vote on a specific issue, so I will pose my own question. Mr. Marzi, how would you vote on a civil union law for same sex (and any others who prefer civil union status) couples in Hawaii? FWIW, I don't personally find the term "homosexual" to be offensive, but some people consider it dated. PC is of little consequence to me. What matters is having candidates who will give me a straight (no pun intended) answer to a yes or no question. What's so hard about that?

Cheers,
Jerry
Actually I'm not offended (that takes quite a lot to accomplish), and it doesn't concern me very much that he used "homosexual" but that he didn't answer the question, especially after my original posting commented on lack of specifics from candidates, and he gave me no specifics. It isn't about catering to me, I don't work for the county or state and a domestic partner law or civil union law would not currently impact me. But where it does impact a lot of people, especially retirees, is when one dies and they own property together, they are stuck with huge transfer taxes that heterosexual married couples don't face. It certainly is not the only issue I vote on, but yes, I would like a candidate to have some plan for how they will deal with the concerns of my specific community. Yes, "gay" is more acceptable. Even the media rarely uses "homosexual" anymore and medical journals have moved away from the term except where it specifically talks about sexual behavior. About the only people who use "homosexual" are right wing and evangelical organizations who want to identify us not as complete humans but as people obsessed only with our sexuality. It isn't about being PC, it is about being respectful. If the vast majority of a group prefer to be identified by a given term, if you have manners you address them by that term. Bisexual seems to be the preferred term within the bi community, so that is why it's correct to use it. Although I hate the term, I'd say most gays are concerned with being "PC" as it relates to referring to people as they choose. I think of it as treating people with Aloha.

Anyway I may very well vote for Mr. Marzi. I certainly like the idea of new political leaders who are not already entrenched in the system. He doesn't get a break for being young from me either, but I doubt any of the other candidates in the race would have answered my questions any more specifically. I did go to his website but could not find an answer to my question there either.
Aloha everyone!

Thank you for the interesting and provocative discourse. Rob, I really believed that I answered your question; but I guess I’ll just have to try harder!

I do not believe that marriage should be associated with government at all. In fact, marriage was originally converted into a state function to prevent inter-racial marriages in the Southern United States. Since its inception by the state, the function has been continuously used to discriminate against and alienate groups and individuals.

Although I believe in traditional religious marriages, I support the right of everyone to receive reciprocal beneficiary rights (and all similar rights) with any other person (regardless of background or personal life) outside of the civil contract of marriage. I hope this addresses your question.

Damon, I posted a response in support of HB2675 on my blog. It cites position paper from the American College of Physicians regarding the efficacy of marijuana for medical use. I would like to see this bill reintroduced.

I will deinitely remain an active member of the Punaweb forums after the election. I have had a chance to look at the other forums and really enjoy the discussions relating to our communities[Smile]

Damon, I will address the other issues you brought up in the next post as I have to get going in a second here.

I am off to the CDP meeting with our council member, Ms. Naeole. It should prove to be an exciting meeting!

I am holding an event at the Leilani Estates Community Association on July 31, 2008, from 7:00 to 8:00 PM. I hope all of you can attend and ask more questons there!

Mahalo and take care,
Anthony Marzi
Candidate, State House District 4

http://www.AnthonyMarzi.com
http://www.AnthonyMarzi.com/blog
http://www.myspace.com/tonymarzi
Mr. Marzi -

It was nice to meet you at the meeting tonight.

-------
Rally For the Plan
Thank you for clarifying your position on the marriage issue which has importance to a large number of people in Puna. This issue is not necessarily what I see as the MOST important, but it makes me more likely to consider voting for you.

Cheers,
Jerry
Aloha Everyone!

I realized that there are a few questions on here that haven’t been addressed yet, so here goes…

“What would you do locally to make sure that Puna residents don't have to drive all the way into Hilo for an Emergency room visit?”

With its growing population, Hawai’i needs immediate political actions to mitigate our healthcare availability crisis. I believe communities must have the power to decide for themselves whether there is a need for medical facilities. Therefore, as Puna’s Representative, I will work to eliminate the Certificate of Need Requirement that is currently preventing our district from establishing a 24-hour medical center. I am sure we can all agree that there is definitely a need in Puna!

Here in Puna, we especially suffer from a shortage of qualified medical providers. The primary contributor to this crisis is our inability to retain young healthcare professionals upon graduation from nursing and medical schools. I plan to introduce legislation, which allocates loan repayment funds to recent medical school graduates working in medically underserved communities. I also support medical residency programs, which have been proven to attract youthful, active, and compassionate physicians.

“I'd like to hear your thoughts on the whole Pakalolo issue.”

I must stand with the people of Puna on this issue. An overwhelming majority of Puna residents support the medical use of marijuana. I promise to represent this will and need in the State House of Representatives. I also believe that Green Harvest is an invasion of personal rights and privacy, and I will vote to end this trespass against and criminalizing of Hawaii’s residents.

“How do you propose getting your Alma Matter, Pahoa High School, a fricking football team again.... (yes, this is important to how I vote!)”

The impenetrable levels of bureaucracy prevent social progress within our schools, and therefore, I will work to ensure greater community involvement and power in the decision-making process of public education. An amplification of Puna’s voice in Pahoa School makes getting a football team entirely possible!

My long-term goal for public education is to decentralize the DOE while maintaining financial support from the general funds. This will allow communities to manage their schools while ensuring equal funding for all of Hawaii’s students.

Please let me know if there are any more questions I can answer for you.

Mahalo and take care,
Anthony Marzi
Candidate, State House District 4

http://www.AnthonyMarzi.com
http://www.AnthonyMarzi.com/blog
http://www.myspace.com/tonymarzi