Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You dirty rat you
Cool I might have to build one of those....

quote:
Originally posted by Jon

Speaking of cars, which one of you guys drove by and used a baseball bat on our mailbox? you trying to get my attention?...

I apologize. I couldn't handle the desecration of the rocks being used.

I took a picture before I did the damage. You can see it here

-------
My Blog

[/quote]

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
Greg wrote:

Tom, the gun and load you used were correct for the situation, but the location was not. You were lucky.

Keep and bear arms all you want, discharge them at the range, or in a hunting preserve in season, or use them to (heaven forbid) protect the life of yourself or a loved one. But if I hear a shot, the cops are coming.

Greg,

If I had well-mannered rats running around my yard they would listen to me and go obtrude upon someone else. But these dirty rats just don’t listen to a word that I say. I have endeavored to be polite and reason with them to proceed to somewhere other than my avocado trees, but they refused so I had to take desperate measures. Taking the life of one of God’s creatures always brings me to my knees and puts me in a deep depression for days on end, but it sometimes has to be done. The next time that one shows it’s disease transporting body I’ll try and talk it into going to a shooting range or maybe a hunting preserve where I can politically and correctly blow it’s hairy little ass off. But, until they start comprehending what I’m saying to them I guess I’ll have to remain in a deep state of depression and keep softly squeezing the trigger.

Jon,

someone got my mailbox too, and I have a friend in the shores that had hers wacked also. Sounds like some A-hole kids having [what they call] fun.

The Lack
It's not a matter of political correctness Tom. It's a matter of legality and precedent. There are many ways to get Rats without shooting. Like I said; Shoot all you want, but if I hear guns in my neighborhood, the cops are coming.

Jon mentioned that shooting is pretty common in the Beaches. I imagine that's because people there put up with it (lots of rats?). It's not so common in my neighborhood, because we don't. It's not just me, it's a policy encouraged by our neighborhood board and endorsed by Officer Briski our very cool and helpful community policing dude.
Rats carry Leptospirosis, and if they get into your food, you can get it too. I keep spring traps loaded all the time. They move into my property from the neighbors I suspect. I've killed 4 in the last month. Put the kill zone part of the trap up against a wall so the buggers have to come in from the side. Mush peanut butter under the latch. screw the spring loaded side down to a piece of plywood. This will give the trap more oomph!

One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
Kimo, I use peanut butter as bait also. I like to wrap it in a little ball of saran wrap and poke a couple of holes in it with a pin. This keeps the dirty rats from stealing the bait, and insures the trap springs when they tug on the ball.
It may be worth considering that calling the cops every time someone plinks a mongoose is dangerously close to the proverbial "calling wolf," and may further overburden an already understaffed police presence.

It is also worth noting that while there's a general consensus in the public mind that "thieves are stupid," it's far from the case. Of you doubt this, educate yourself about the culture of "bump keys" and kids who break into houses in very sophisticated ways just for jollies. The ones that get caught, and the ones you see are not necessarily a representative example. If the smarter kids discover, perhaps by reading a web forum, that popping off a .22 shell in one neighborhood can draw all police presence down the road to investigate the event, while their buddies rip off a house elsewhere--don't guess for a moment they won't use this tactic to good ends.
People generally don't feel too good about sending their kids out to play with the sound of gun fire. It shouldn't take much common sense to figure this one out.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I would suggest common sense would be able to discern the difference between the single pop of a .22 birdshot round killing a rat, and "the sound of gunfire." The key is discernment, which is central to common sense, and not zealotry, which is the furthest thing from it.

Discernment is obviously our bigger problem here.
Jay I think you are very wrong. Why should any parent be expected to discern the difference between one gun shot and another? That's nuts. At what age would you expect children to be making this determination? Why especially should anyone in a neighborhood have to be in fear of random gunfire anyway?

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
The point is kids trying to stir up trouble in a neighborhood in the manner I described--remember, I've worked with these kids, and know the tricks first hand--throw light bulbs to simulate the sound of gunfire to draw policemen with near immunity. We live in a complicated world. If you live in a world where anti-gun zealotry is so extreme that it can be manipulated and utilized as a tool to commit crime, there is obviously a problem.

I wouldn't consider my neighbor shooting a rat to be "random gunfire." There's nothing random about it. Especially in a rural or near rural community. People have large problems with feral animals, and pig hunting is a fact of life for many local families. Obviously, I'm not asking people to determine by sound one caliber from another--that's craziness. But I don't think it asks a lot of discernment to tell the difference between a single "bang" and a "bang, bang---bangbangbangbang, bang bang."

Of course, if you hear something that "discernment" might suggest required a police presence, call the police! It is important to note that there are other risks in such behavior as well, and in the world we live in a higher level of common sense than is common is warranted, and as much as anything offer a counterpoint to what appears to me to be near hysterical paranoia.