Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accident on Hwy 130
quote:
Originally posted by macuu222

This unfortuneate accident may just help speed up that process. "If" the bus will no longer stop along Hwy 130 bewteen Pahoa and Keaau ...it will affect many people.

The drivers may need to educate people about waiting for the bus to pull away before crossing the highway. We can't have a 7-mile stretch without bus stops.

Maybe the county can also put signs on the buses?
quote:
Originally posted by Jon:
"Hmmm getting kind of personal there?

You have not idea how I "feel" about it. But Reason and Logic says that its no ones fault but the one walking in front of the car.

Just because I "Feel" bad about it does not mean that the Bus Driver or the County should have to deal with a lawsuit.

If anyone should should file a lawsuit its the people in the cars against the parents of the one that walked into oncoming traffic for not teaching him better. They actually have damages."
________________________________________________________________________________________
Sorry - Jon! Aloha!

To extrapolate with reason and logic your initial comments were/are harsh - no personal attack intended. Attack tete-a-tete's are not my forte.

My reactivity is based on the old adage - "He should have known better" - maybe he didn't. What if he was 12 not 51?

I hate LAWSUITS of any kind - but let's use our reason and logic - that if you provide a service it comes with expectations, responsibilities. This is the USA not a third world country - no matter how rural. "Government for the people....." - county government dropped the ball and initiated a service without "basic public safety".

Heck the driver's are not even county employees - where are the "checks and balances" - privatization of government WILL destroy the government - governments have budgets - companies have PROFIT and loss statements.

"Each thing I do I rush through so I can do something else" - Cemetery Nights/Stephen Dobyns
$100,000 Allocated on 12/10/08 to study bus stops.

Just blogged about it.

Damon Tucker's Weblog
Underlaying all of this is the lack of bus stops on a state highway. It is impossible to eliminate all risks in life but HDOT sets it's priorities and budgets and in doing so has generally given Puna minimal, or less than minimal, service ans infrastructure.

A highway 130 death in the Pahoa area some years back resulted in a substantial settlement from HDOT because they ignored drainage issues (which locals told them about) and heavy rains sheeted on the highway with resulting water planing.

It was facinating to see the CoH award a conract for $67,000 to design a bus stop. I am extremely interested in seeing this design if and when it appears.

I am concerned and outraged that HDOT has, for 2-3 years, been unable to create a crosswalk at a school location and posted school zone signage and speed limits accordingly. I suspect that the minute some of us hire a lawyer and file a suit the crosswalk would appear there right quickly. Am I wrong? Let's find out.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by Jon

I believe the law says if a Yellow Bus is stopped in the road, traffic both ways has to stop. The one I see around the house has the pop out stop sign also.

i'm not a driver so wasn't aware that law existed. good to know.

and, yes, we did see the stop sign pop out of the side.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

I’m not a lawyer but I have been involved in many Examination Before Trials (EBT) regarding construction claims. The concept behind a law suit is not to find one party 100% liable for damages. The claim is against all parties that might have an interest.
Then a judgment is made to a % of liability and each party pays a %.
In this case it might be the driver, COH, DOT and the injured party.
It’s much easier to rule on spreading the accountability then to find one part 100% at fault. So COH pays 25%, DOH25% and the driver pays 25% and the estate will get 75% of their claim. That’s the way it’s done. Oh, I forgot the lawyers fee 30%.[Wink]

"Many dreams come true and some have silver linings, I look for my dreams and a pocket full of gold" Led Zeppelin
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
It's called "Contributary Negligence".
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
"...Police have initiated a negligent homicide investigation"

I wonder who the "Negligent party is going to be".

My guess, is the police will find negligence on the pedestrian.

I'm not one to make the call, but anytime someone is killed on a taxpayer funded road... we all take the hit one way or another.

Damon Tucker's Weblog
I think that there are so many problems with the infrastructure here and it's sad that something tragic has to happen before anything is done.

quote:
Originally posted by Jon

I believe the law says if a Yellow Bus is stopped in the road, traffic both ways has to stop. The one I see around the house has the pop out stop sign also.

The law only concerns a "School Bus" marked as such with approved signage as defined by state law, and only when the warning signs and lights are activated.