Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roosters!!!
That must be super loud. I can't even imagine what that sounds like. How about some sort of bush or row of trees to act as a light "sound barrier?"
I forgot to mention, you want to make good with one of us locals? Become friends with us with some good food!

Maybe bring over some poke or beer(green bottles) at first, don't make it too obvious that you are trying to bribe him........
Maybe you could raise mongooses.
Thanks everyone(great idea Glen about mongoose!)I know there is probably nothing I can do...just wanted to rant a liitle!

Lavalinda
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

I'm not so sure that kind of tactic works across ethnicities in Hawai'i. Assuming that the rooster breeder isn't haole ...

And assuming the rooster itself is not haole too..[Big Grin]
Lavalinda,my neighbor has an electronic "Yard and Garden Protector" that emits high pitch signal( usually not heard by humans) to repel opossums,skunks,stray cats,dogs and even deers.
It's safe for birds or fish,but may be there's some device out there like that for deleted roosters..
Thanks Damon. We really need to get together more often now that you are on Hawaii Island. And yes, the lawn is still immaculate.

I forgot to mention band practice out in the carport in my last post.

Someday the Politics of NO! will protest farm activities on Ag Land.
Liberalism thrives on the double standard.

Haven't gotten to the Kona side since I've been back... other then the Wheel of Fortune Auditions.

Don't have your email anymore and the Punaweb Email is down. You can email me at (damontucker at yahoo.com)

Damon Tucker's Weblog
I agree talk to the neighbor first (unless he has barbbed wire & mean dogs & lots of keep out signs). If so leave a really polite non threatening note. Something like "I'm having trouble sleeping w/ the rooster noise" maybe he can put them in enclosed coop at night. I like the idea of smothering your neighbor w/ good food, pies, etc. (reverse phsycology). The high frequency noise emitter is worth a try (no one will know you are doing it), maybe it will drown out the roosters & make them quit.
If someone could just breed quiet roosters, they'd have a fortune.

Ear plugs is all I can suggest. Either that or find some way for your neighbor to make money other than by raising roosters. Somehow I doubt he is going to make the amount of money he thinks he is. Shootz, if he can make that much money, I may raise roosters, too!

Putting a rooster in a low enclosure won't keep them from crowing. Putting them in a dark enclosure won't keep them from crowing. There is a surgical procedure, but it is very extensive, runs about $400 (per bird) and the vet gave me about a 30% chance the bird wouldn't make it.

Once, long ago, when I lived in Puna (it may have been another lifetime ago) my neighbor had a few fighting roosters running loose. Those silly little roosters came over and tangled with Stripes who was an adult Barred Rock rooster. He weighed over ten pounds and chased those silly little fighting roosters right back across the street. You could try getting an Australorp or some other full sized standard bred rooster which would keep those silly little roosters out of your yard if they ever got loose. Here's a link to some of the different breeds of chickens: http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/c...hooks.html

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson