Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cuba
I'd read that Cuba's number one personnel export has been doctors.

Maybe they could help the Big Island and Puna out?
Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
Here are some simple facts about Cuba as it might relate to Hawaii and Punaweb:

There is no freedom of expression in Cuba. There is only one political party allowed. Most Punawebbers like free expression and are prone to speak their minds, especially when politicians are involved. Therefore most Punawebbers would be in prison in Cuba, or maybe exiled if they were lucky. Cuba is not a good place for Punawebbers to want to be or to emulate. Damon would not be allowed to have an independent blog, with or without advertisers, in Cuba. And if he did somehow manage to publish a picture of a prominent Cuban official like the one of Gov. Lingle, he would be visited by some nasty secret policemen in short order. The incident at the Pahoa Post Office would be a happy memory of tolerance and peace.

Cheerful to be in Hawaii,
Jerry
quote:
Originally posted by JerryCarr

There is no freedom of expression in Cuba.
There is freedom of expression in Cuba, but there is no freedom after the expression![Big Grin]

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,ARB,BFT,CM,CBR,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

quote:
Originally posted by JerryCarr

Here are some simple facts about Cuba as it might relate to Hawaii and Punaweb:

There is no freedom of expression in Cuba. There is only one political party allowed. Most Punawebbers like free expression and are prone to speak their minds, especially when politicians are involved. Therefore most Punawebbers would be in prison in Cuba, or maybe exiled if they were lucky. Cuba is not a good place for Punawebbers to want to be or to emulate. Damon would not be allowed to have an independent blog, with or without advertisers, in Cuba. And if he did somehow manage to publish a picture of a prominent Cuban official like the one of Gov. Lingle, he would be visited by some nasty secret policemen in short order. The incident at the Pahoa Post Office would be a happy memory of tolerance and peace.

Cheerful to be in Hawaii,
Jerry

Nice way to bring things back home... HOWEVER... I must correct something.

Damon would be blogging from a static IP address somewhere in the Middle of China...

Jerry those reading my blog would have the Cuban officials knocking on his their door for reading my blog.[:p] [Big Grin][Big Grin][Big Grin]

Jerry would be spared [8D]

Damon Tucker's Weblog
I don't read your blog, Damon, just what you post here and in other places.

Cheers,
Jerry
I'd love to visit Cuba, even more so if they brought back Nevada-style entertainment and had a government less corrupt than it was in pre-Castro times. Wow, if all that happened, I might even move there. I refuse to accept the notion that this current tin-pot dictatorship will go on for ever and ever; if for no reason other than a confirmation from the "intelligent" community that communism is little more than a bad joke. So, I look forward to the day when I can visit Cuba in the same spirit as a person from the mainland has when visiting Hawaii; and experience a wonderful culture and people who deserve more than they have (and maybe even communicate with them in English and use American money).
Well, one good thing. if you wanted to visit that communist sh!hole, is that they don't let Cubans in any of the resorts.
and they keep all the descentors in a gulag so you can maintain the delusion that communism is good.

Oh yeah LeeE,
When Fidel needs help they either fly him to Spain or bring doctors in from outside.

Getting a medical operation in Cuba would be like having major surgery performed by a school nurse in a filthy truck stop bathroom except with out all the technology.
quote:
Originally posted by gtill

Aint there yet,but proposals are on the floor to open Cuba to tourism. That could throw a wrench into our recoup, close too,with a potential for supercheap tourism.

I hate to say it gtill, but are you on "crack"? Hawaii doesn't need Cuba to sink it's economy! It's doing a pretty good job on it's own!
Plus, if any of you are entertaining the thought that Cuba will be relaxed after Fidel is gone,doesn't know Cuban politics or history! Fidel's brother, Raul is a certified "nut case"

We don't have to worry about our country siding with the Castro Bros either. We tend to only back DICKtatorS like Marcos, Phinochet, Shah of Iran. You know, creeps with money!

-----------

Let's get together and over grow the government!!!!
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
esnap,

Don't think so.

Have you looked into this?

"Cuba Trains Physicians for Wealthy United States

Vernellia R. Randall
Professor of Law and
Web Editor

Fitzhugh Mullan, M.D
Affirmative Action, Cuban Style, New England Journal of Medicine Volume 351:2680-2682 December 23, 2004 Number 26

What an irony that poor Cuba is training doctors for rich America, engaging in affirmative action on our behalf, and - while blockaded by U.S. ships and sanctions - spending its meager treasure to improve the health of U.S. citizens.

The Cuban health care system in which these students are working is exceptional for a poor country and represents an important political accomplishment of the Castro government. Since 1959, Cuba has invested heavily in health care and now has twice as many physicians per capita as the United States and health indicators on a par with those in the most developed nations - despite the U.S. embargo that severely reduces the availability of medications and medical technology.3,4 This success clearly plays well at home and has enabled Cuba to send physicians abroad to Cold War hot spots such as Nicaragua and Angola. Yet Cuba has also sent thousands of physicians to work in some of the world's poorest countries. Since 1998, 7150 Cuban doctors have worked in 27 countries - on a proportional basis this is the equivalent of the United States sending 175,000 physicians abroad.5 In the same spirit, ELAM trains young people from these countries and sends them home to practice medicine. Although these programs make political points for Cuba, they also represent an extraordinary humanitarian contribution to the world's poor populations."

"...The Kaiser Family Foundation, a non-governmental organization that evaluated Cuba’s healthcare system in 2000-1 described Cuba as "a shining example of the power of public health to transform the health of an entire country by a commitment to prevention and by careful management of its medical resources"[63] President of the World Bank James Wolfensohn also praised Cuba's healthcare system in 2001, saying that "Cuba has done a great job on education and health"..."
Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
Propaganda...
Talk to someone that is from Cuba.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
HBAT
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii