Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We need a few traffic lights on Hwy 130
I'd like to believe that with our collective brainpower, changing demographics, more community involvement from the new breed of "punatic" (that would be us Smile - and as much aloha as we can muster - we have the power to improve those numbers. New York is an excellent case in point. If NYC can do it, so can can we!

Tim
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
New York City brought its horrific crime rates down by comprehensively policing, prosecuting, and punishing ALL crime. After reviewing some sociological research, they determined that ignoring petty crime (including traffic offenses) encouraged a social environment in which all types of crime became more tolerated. The police, prosecutors, and judges began a no-nonsense policy of taking all crime from jaywalking to murder seriously. While there have been a few well-publicized abuses under this approach, it has been a big success overall.

I'm crossing my threads here, but the recent reluctance of some of the folks at Kehena Beach to have a police presence there make me question if such an approach would work in Puna. As a resident of HPP, however, I would love to give it a try here.

Aloha,
Jerry

In reply to Kapohocat's question, I would locate a signal at Orchidland Drive and another at Ainaloa Blvd. 104 major crashes in one year I'm sure it would cut that in half.

After about 7 months of documentation, research, traffic studies, comparisons ect, I was successful in changing the 45 MPH speed limit on our road to 35MPH. I was almost road kill the other day while trying to slow down sparse traffic to help a trailer back into an orchard. The neighbors all signed petitions for the change and were so happy someone was willing to do the foot work. I was so proud I stuck with it.
As a suggestion I'd like to add that enforcement is the vital necessary ingredient to make any plan of action successful IMO. Aloha

In 18 months of the new speed limit the number of observed CHP or Sheriffs driving by our street 0. Everyone is so disappointed.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Jerry,

I believe you're referring to "broken windows theory". I'm a firm believer in it because I spent 20 years applying it in factory management with great success (the Japanese brainwashed me to think this way Smile It's been proven that by fixing the seemingly "meainingless" stuff (broken windows, dirty equipment, disorganized workplace, subway turnstyle jumpers, etc.) positive things happen. Why? I think because people start to care, feel a greater sense of pride, and in the process become more resistant to anything that drags down quality of life. This is very progessive theory that even conservative Rudy Giuliani came to fully embrace because the data showed astounding results. (Yeah, I'm an independent, but I gotta give Rudy his props.) The other key to NYC's success was that they closely monitored the trends via an accurate data collection system and scheduled weekly meetings to hold leadership accountable. They also maintained the flexibility and nimbleness to let the data drive their actions so they could adjust on the fly...'course none of this works unless you have accountability at the top and involvement from the community. I think we've got at least half of it covered...

Okay, so sorry to veer off topic. Maybe a future thread?

Back to the important issue of making Hwy 130 safer!

Tim

Edited by - punafish on 07/22/2006 09:42:32

Edited by - punafish on 07/22/2006 11:44:46
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Question : Those stats are for all of Puna or specific areas?

-Cat
Those stats are for all of Puna but only for a Three month period!!!(jan,feb,mar). in 2005 and 2006 so the actual numbers are much higher!
Here's a newspaper article about big island roads being the deadliest in the state.
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/articl...ln08p.html

Edited by - punamom on 07/22/2006 13:26:12
We can add more safety features - but with gas prices still rising -- how can we get more cars off the road??

Here's a challenge for you stats buffs - if we could eliminate 15% of the cars on the hwy, what would be the anticipated drop in accidents? ( I dont know the answer - maybe some one can help out here).

by eliminate I suggest less trips overall, way way more ride sharing, increased public transportation, and more services where we use them. And did I mention SLOWING down!!!!

Where are our bumper sticker people - how about a "I drive with aloha in Puna" bumper sticker?

-cat

Edited by - kapohocat on 07/23/2006 10:15:46
Hi Cat,
I'm with you on the slowing down but I've encountered problems with that; in people tailgating you or even scarier are the ones that pass you on the shoulder (something that never happened to me until I moved here).So for now for safetys sake I'm going with the flow of traffic.
But I am all for legally lowering the speed limits I can't believe its 55mph all in front of HPP!!!! So will bring that up at the next comm. meeting ect..
And personally because of the gas price increase and because driving in Hilo town is just getting crazy and annoying I have begun to car pool with ohanna for shopping trips ect. and I don't go into town as much as I used to.Wondering if others are doing the same?

I am totally making less trips... down from 5 days a week in March to 1-2 now.

so as I was driving into town today - I was wondering how many of those accidents are:

Cell Phone related?
DUI/DWI related?
Driver in car with kids screaming related?
Speed related?
Did I miss any other big ones?

We can do something right now about cell phone related, and DUI/DWI related... we can lobby for lowering the speed limit during peak usage hours (or peak accident hours by the stats) - while we work out where a stop light might go.

-Cat