Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scrabble
Cat,
I can bring a second board, just let me know when. Saturdays are usually better for me since I do grading and prep work on Sundays, but I can be flexible.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Steven - Those sound a lot like our old house rules for the game! We were always big on coming up with more cooperative ways to play board games and such. As you mentioned, it's especially good to create adaptations for players of differing ages and/or abilities. I like the 'extra honor & glory' bit on Rule 8!! Excellent addition to the game :-)

aloha, Liz

"The best things in life aren't things."
I play now and then on pogo.com, it has many other board games and such also. Some games you have to be a member, like 30 bucks a year, some are free. Nice site.

Scott
I like Scrabble a lot also, although I only play about twice a year - it's about finding other kindred spirits. I'd love to get together once or twice a month for a game fest. We too have a humongous living room (okay, it's been called a barn) where we could play. And to sweeten the pot, I have a mah jong set - made of plastic so it doesn't warp in this climate. Mah jong's definitely my favorite. So we could do different tables with different board games, if folks wanted to.
Great that so many have added to the topic!
I've been down with a cruddy cold (first in years) and child care (I suspect a connection), and still am.

Like maud gonne, for me Scrabble is about "in the same room" fun. Having other people to vent to when I draw all vowels or consonants. Appreciating the words and plays people make. Small talk.
I appreciate Alaska Steven's house rules, but they wouldn't be for me, lol. I like to play the best I can. I neither tie the board up or try to open it up 100% of the time, but I most definitely don't give away triple word scores on purpose. I look at it as a way to sharpen strategy, and without treating the other players as opponents and vice versa, one can't really learn how to be a good player.

However, with my family who can't spell, I do play dictionary and word list open, and I enjoy "learning" games, if we agree to play that way. It's a good way to learn new words. I guess that's somewhat like Steven's house rules.

I could probably manage to come to Kapoho as some other part of Puna as a special event, and appreciate these offers; they sound fun!

I would also be interested in playing with 1-3 people in Hilo. I like Borders (as many of you know, lol). The new Seattle's Best has been running a happy hour from either 3-5 or 3:30-5 on Mon-Thurs, with their "hand made" drinks at $2 for medium, $3 for large, which is a great deal. The place puts absolutely no pressure on people to buy anything to use a table, which is one reason I enjoy it, and it is generally quiet, more quiet than a typical bar or restaurant, because people are reading and using computers. It's also fine to talk.

Anyway, think about it if you like to play and you have a reason to be in Hilo in the afternoon on a week day, with time to kill. I give myself a treat there about once a week, a time out if you will.