Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current status of animals to Hawaii
If you’re taking a pet to Hawaii, don’t want to store them in the luggage port aboard a plane and have some time on your hands…
Look into using the ocean freighters for your trip; it’s a great experience for those who have never been to sea.

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.
Who offers freighter cruises to Hawaii? This may be an interesting idea for a little extra adventure. Can pets come in through the shipping ports?
Wao nahele, Have you ever done this before? How were the accommodations? Do they allow you to walk your pet? I mean ... it seems like it would be difficult to clean up after animals on a ship.

Rob, has your mom already started the paperwork? It truly does take 6 months to get it all through, especially with direct release from Kona. There is an early UAL flight from SFO that arrives in KOA at 11 am. That is the one we took.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
I've not used them before, that being said, I know people who have used freight ships for taking trips abroad. It's not something that is advertised or well known about. I know that the people I know had to make calls and talk with the companies that own the ships. As per picking up after a pets mess, wiping up a mess from a painted steel deck and tossing it the heads toilet shouldn't be a problem, a freight ship is not a cruise ship. Most of these ships have fairly decent quarters on board and typically room to spare from my understanding. All you have to do is locate a company that is willing to allow you and your pet passage aboard their vessel. The costs may be a bit greater than normal airfare and I’m not certain how they arranged meals, etc. Anyhow, it’s just an option I was made aware of and thought to pass it along for people who won’t allow a pet to travel in a luggage compartment.

Unless the rules have changed since I looked into this a couple years ago, freighters from the mainland US are not allowed to carry passengers to Hawaii. I doubt those laws have changed but would be delighted if they have. Freighter travel is not an uncommon mode of transport almost anywhere else in the world, and one I would love to experience someday.

Of course, if you happen to know the Captain of a freighter, you may be able to get around the rules by traveling as a guest rather than as a paying customer...

If anyone has researched the current status of traveling as a guest onboard a freighter between the West Coast & Hawaii, please let us know! It does seem like a nice alternative, especially for those with pets that don't travel well.

aloha, Liz

"The best things in life aren't things."
Are you sure they even allow animals? It sounds like a viable option if they do.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
KeaauRich
Can you let me know which vet you used in Kona? Know someone else that is flying direct! Since you had such a good experience with them! Mahalo!
NW Friend... we used Dr. Jenny Chartier at the Kona Veterinary Service (808) 325-6637. She gave great advice while we were prepping for the big move and couldn't have been nicer at the airport.
Liz,
You may have contacted the wrong folks during your search, there are no laws directly prohibiting private passenger travel aboard freight vessels, there may be companies that are prohibited by their insurance companies to allow paying passengers. Some of those companies’ insurers may require all persons aboard to be officers or “deck hands” (a little hint). Unlike airlines, Ship Captains receive their license by vessel weight and not by ship content type, after putting in the hours for mine - 65ton or less is or rather was the primary vessel weight for a basic Captains license several years back and they qualify for commercial passenger as well as Cargo/commercial contract.
If using such ships for travel is something you really want to do, I would recommend digging into the matter deeper as there are indeed many differing types of vessels that you can book passage on.
Though Hawaii may be a little more difficult to find with regard to transport to and from the mainland… there are plenty of differing ships to and from Hawaii to make such a venture possible. Some of the smaller barge service companies (vs. Matson) may be more inclined to offer such passage as well as research vessels and other vessels. You can find articles on this matter on-line as well as companies that actually book these types of trips.
http://www.transitionsabroad.com/publica...ture.shtml

Thanks for that link Wao nahele kane. I remember looking at that site a while back; I'm gonna bookmark it this time! What a cool way to cruise the Pacific. Still on my "To-Do" list. ;-)

But it's that transport between the mainland and Hawaii that's far trickier...

aloha, Liz

"The best things in life aren't things."