Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
super easy homemade bread
quote:
Originally posted by Devany

Bread should be consumed within 3 days, otherwise you need to refrigerate it for longer life. I have made a lot of the no knead breads and they are fairly good, but I have to say that some real kneading releases amazing texture, flavor and crumb.

I have found that putting homemade bread in a fridge dries it out, as fridges are simply not cold enough to keep bread fresh. If you make bread without preservatives the only way to keep it fresh is to freeze it on the day you bake it. Also, the Jim Lahey method does the kneading for you, that's why you let it sit for 12+ hours, the time does the kneading.

If you don't have a breadmaker, Dutch oven or fancy equipment, this is really a fabulous way to make top quality European style bread (maybe only rivaled by Pam Lamont's which I am hoping to be lucky enough to try one day)

By the way, Dee, if you can't find the NY Times links, go to google and type Jim Lahey bread or I think it was under Wednesday Kitchen - his blog or weekly food article. There is also a youtube video on how he does it.

It is impossible to consider that a loaf of home baked bread would ever last 3 days in our house!

I know the no knead breads may not be quite up to the level of some traditional kneaded recipes, but it is a way that someone who really doesn't have much time can bake bread at home that is still far better than any store bought bread available here. I can do advance planning and start my bread 12-24 hours before I bake it, I just can't spare many hours in between. Right now I am starting the next batch as soon as I clear out the bowl for the last rise before baking. The only thing close to a failure has been the whole wheat/rye that didn't rise much in the oven, but sure had good texture and flavor.

I spent much of my college years up to my elbows in dough at various restaurants and pizzerias, and for the effort involved I am happy with the no knead breads as an easy way to get decent bread on my table. This is probably how the women on my mother's side of the family who were flax, wheat and rye farmers in eastern Europe made their bread, they really didn't have that much time to put into it (my mother's great grandmother and her daughters routinely fed 20-30 people 3 meals a day during planting and harvest), but they sure had the daily routine down.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Hey, Dee.... I've got a batch of starter working away for you. I sent you me phone # and I'll be home all this morning (waiting on Sears!)

BTW..... If anyone else would like some starter, I'd be glad to pass some along!

Royall

quote:
I know the no knead breads may not be quite up to the level of some traditional kneaded recipes, but it is a way that someone who really doesn't have much time can bake bread at home that is still far better than any store bought bread available here.
Carol

I agree with you Carol about the time factor. Being the only one in the house I tend to make a more time consuming recipe as If I were to make it like the NKB I couldn't eat it all up! As it is some of my neighbors are like MY new hobby!

I make one bread that I call my "breakfast loaf" It is a bit spicy but toasted with a poached egg on top is the BEST. I can make about 9 loaves of that from a single 5# bag of AP flour (they use about 500g for two loaves) and right now Safeway has been selling Gold Medal for 2 bucks a bag and works out to about 22 cents of flour per loaf for a great tasting bread. Factor in some spices, yeast (2# bag at Costco for about 4 bucks), and gas for the oven and I'm sure my bread is way less than a buck a loaf! When you start adding nuts, seeds, eggs, sugar, and fruits then the cost goes up a bit but it's just the cost of a great hobby!

Royall

Youser...Thanks for the tip on Jim Lahey's website....Finally got his recipe & method for making the No Knead Bread.

Royall...It was really nice to meet you this morning & you were so gracious to Bill & I for letting us pick your brains on so many subjects!!! Many, many thanks for the starter & the great samples of your various breads & for the loaf of whole wheat bread.

Thanks to all for your welcome suggestions & help. I can't wait to get started![Smile][Smile][Smile]

Dee
Royall,
Could I get a little of your starter too, please? I am trying an all rye/pineapple juice starter but so far it isn't "starting". I'm going to give it another day or two, but it might need a kick start from an established starter. I wouldn't need much.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Geez,

I've always done no knead bread because i'm lazy. Time kneading, counter cleanup, getting dough out of your clothes... Seriously, haven't you all lived here long enough to recognize that there is a more R-E-L-A-X-E-D way of doing stuff. Bombai right? Dat fansi stuf good fo dem upity nosed mainlan tipes, we here eet our meet frum cans and no knead our bred right? One green bottle, some vienna sausages, and some fresh bread wit siracha and salt, YUM!

,^)

Seriously, though. I just use a spatula and a metal mixing bowl. 5 minutes, h20, yeast, and sugar, put it in a metal bowl on a burner for 30 seconds to get warm, turn on oven, come back add some salt, some flour, and a shake of baking soda, stir, pour into greased pan, sprinkle whateva on top. 20 minutes done! It ain't a crusty, earthy, european masterpiece but it's a lot better than any $6 grocery loaf.

Keaau Nat foods has rye berries, rolled oats, buckwheat, and lotsa other hippie stuff to add fiber and political correctness for cheap.

Until some wonderfull strong shouldered woman with yeasty armpits and insomnia starts kneading and baking me real bread, it's my bachelor special for now.

Sure Carol, just let me know when you can stop by. My number is: 982 8950.

How old is your starter? Did you get a chance to read through the tutorial? There is a lot of good information in it. My starter took about 6-7 days to get to a point that it started to look and smell like a SD starter.

I also would recommend a bread baker buying a set of scales that reads grams, ounces, and can be "zeroed" (tare button). There are a lot of good recipes out there that are all measured out in grams or ounces rather than cups and spoons. If you get into the habit of using the scales, you'll find that you'll have fewer dirty utensils and can put your ingredients together faster with more consistency than using all the measuring cups and spoons. Using a recipe that is in grams allows you to just set the bowl you mix in right on the scales and just start adding each item and then pushing the "tare" button to zero the scale and allowing you to add the next ingredient.

Another plus to using grams rather than cups and spoons is it allows you to use "bakers percentages" or "bakers math" (http://www.wildyeastblog.com/bakers-perc...-index/)to scale your recipe up or down. By the way... The wildyeastblog is a wonderful site to wander around at. Susan is a wonderful baker that has put a site together that is full of great recipes, photos, tutorials, and good information in general.

I'm far from an expert as I've only been baking for about 4 months now. It is an "addictive" hobby to get involved with but I've yet to make a loaf of bread bad enough that I couldn't eat! If you practice with "lean" breads (just salt, yeast,water, and flour) rather than "enriched" breads (breads with things like oil, butter, eggs, or milk) you can make french baguettes for just pennies.

Sorry about rambling but I've gotten bitten hard by the baking bug.

Royall

PS. http://www.thefreshloaf.com/ This is another great site to ask question and get wonderful help. A friendly bunch of people there.

So glad I saw this post, almost missed it and want to give it a try.

I like Hazen's idea of bread... gonna have to give it a try, even if I'm not a bachelor, especially the part about throwing in some oats, berries and fiber for politcal correctness - funny :-)

I am planning to try the no knead seriously as kneading kills my fore arms and carpel tunnel problems.

Royal, we hope someday to be your neighbor that loves your hobby! Sounds so yummy! Next thing you'll be making your own butter to spread on that bread (I've done it many times - so good, especially with herbs in it)

My husband's mother had a SD starter that was several decades old, sadly it disappeared when she passed away, someone threw it out.
Enjoy the day! Ann
I've been baking bread since I first got here, not because I like to cook or bake. In fact I hate it and have put together a really good "I Don't Cook" book full of tried and true recipes I got from others. Anyway, I've been baking bread because of the unaffordable price. I don't have a stove/oven but I've made some really killer good irish soda bread in the toaster oven. I've made it with avocado too, since I'm inundated. It's a quick bread but both delicious & healthy, made with buttermilk, whole wheat, etc