Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you reading?
Either we are an extremely literate crowd, or there is some selective reporting underway here Smile There's gotta be someone reading "Wicked Metermaids" or something by Stephen King or Jackie Collins. Anyone? Anyone?
LOL! Okay, I'll admit it: I am currently reading "Withering Heights" by Dorothy Cannell, a silly little light-hearted British mystery.

aloha, Liz

"The best things in life aren't things."
Before "The Lacuna" the last thing I read was a John Grisham book "Playing for Pizza" about a washed up American quarterback playing American Football in Italy, it was a fun light read. Before that I worked my way through a huge stack of Robert Heinlein someone put in the free books stacks at the Hilo library, everything from "Stranger in a Strange Land" to his young adult stuff I first read when I was in Jr. High, Heinlein sure was a good story teller. And even before that I thoroughly enjoyed "Edgar Sawtelle's Dogs".

I tend to read more "grown up" books when I'm on vacation and lighter books when I am swamped at work, because then I tend to fall asleep a few pages in every night. I also read a lot of books my students recommend, Holly Black's modern Faerie books for young adults most recently.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Stephen King is a great storyteller, less scary than everyday life on our humble planet. And that's scary. I read "Duma Key" in the past year but nothing is as bad as "IT". My kids went postal on that movie. They were in our bed for a week. Evil clowns are not good.
Wes and I both read 1491 several years ago. I agree, it is really worth reading and sad.

quote:
Originally posted by Jay Bondesen

I just finished 1491 by Charles Mann. A real eye-opener on what was going on before Columbus opened the door to North America. It's a great read of a sad story about what a few European germs did to thousands of years of culture in America.

Jay

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
LOL, I've never read anything by Jackie Collins. I know Stephen King is a good storyteller, by rep, but the only one I ever made it through was Carrie, and that was a class assignment. I have the Stand (long version) on my shelf and I liked the first two chapters but then drifted away.

The list I gave was my frivolous list. I spent years in English lit, comp lit, Classics lit classes - reading stuff like Confessions of St. Augustine, Thoreau, Moby Dick, DH Lawrence (ALL of Lawrence), not to mention all the essays and the literary criticism. My favorites were Homer, Virgil, Ulysses and the Faerie Queene and Paradise Lost ... so to me anything that flows easily in plain English is a lightweight read and a pleasure, but it has to be well written or it's not fun.

I think I've read most all of Agatha Christie and Robert Heinlein, but I consider them important authors. As is P.G. Wodehouse, who always makes me ROTFLMAO. And Philip K Dick, and Roger Zelazny - reread the Amber novels for the third time not too long ago, and they were pure pleasure.

I'm not too good at getting through nonfiction, whereas my mother won't read any fiction. Temperament, I guess. I'm impressed by all you folks who read serious nonfiction or any kind of science. It's hard for me.

A couple of entertaining novels I read in the last year or so were a) The Egyptologist by Arthur Phillips, which has a great pay-off at the end, and The Club Dumas by Arturo PĂ©rez-Reverte. 1993, but that's new to me. I've read most all of Dumas so it had an extra draw for me. I would call both of these intelligently conceived mysteries. Another book that I read quite awhile ago but would recommend to anyone with some time who is interested in alternate theories of history and secret societies is "Foucault's Pendulum" by Umberto Eco. That's as close as I get to reading history and philosophy and enjoying it.
I have been using the newish Amazon Kindle Paper-white since May. I really like it. I have been a Kindle fan for several years now. I love the new adjustable back light feature in the paper-white. And the electric charge lasts forever.

Current Reading:
The Martian: A Novel by Andy Weir Amazon: hhttp://tinyurl.com/qxx67ap
A re-read; The Count Of Monte Cristo (Unabridged) by Alexandre Dumas Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/nem6uet

Finished Recently:
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley; Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/pcdu2wo
Carry the Wind by Terry C. Johnston; Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/oyxc8tx

Anyone have any good reads they can recommend?

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
The New King James Bible every day [Big Grin]

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
Bought an old fashioned-kind at Costco last week. One third of the way through Lawrence in Arabia by Scott Anderson. All the current troubles in Syria, Gaza, Egypt, played out one hundred years ago.....
Can't go wrong there Nana Smile

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".