Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tsunami Alert - Friday 2/26/10
Billy Kenoi gave an interview at 4:30 saying he'd been up all night with his core group. Plans to deploy 1000 emergency personnel, plus National Guard, plus Blackhawk helicopters. All the hotels have been notified. All shelters are open. Shelters do not have cots or blankets, bring what you need if you need to go to one.

The surge into Hilo Bay might be twelve feet. Oh man.

My son went off to Walmart which is the only thing open yet and it's totally full of people, had a 45 minute line-up waiting for the doors to open, and he said it looks like an hour wait to get through the line after 15 minutes rushed shopping. So it might be quiet in HPP but not in Hilo. And sirens go off in 30 minutes. [Sad]
renee got the call at 440 this morning to get to work ASAP. puainako sack n save had lines out the door and had opened earlier than normal. the downtown store is closed. pics on this morning's news show long lines at various gas stations. sirens to go off at 6am and airport to close at the same time.

be safe everyone.

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

I am currently in a blizzard in New York. Actually it is not so bad here in the city. Bob is home on the Ranch as are a couple of house guests. However, if anyone has nowhere to go, call him at 937-1769 or the land line at 968-1479. Bring sleeping bags as there is no bed space. There is plenty of food and room for animals if needed. I am sorry not to be there in this time of need.

I wish you all well and will check here to learn how you all are doing.

With my heartfelt concern I remain yours,

Pam
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Be safe everyone. Thinking good thoughts and hoping this blows over. If things get ugly our land is available to park on or.... Reach out and I will tell you where it is. 713-875-0675
Incredible that everyone rushes out and empties the store shelves.

I am trying to think of what I need to save! My mother reminded me that a change of clothes would be good.
My house is on Kaloli Point in the Tsunami Zone. I am in Los Angeles. It would be nice if someone could let me know what is happening in HPP. So if you get word locally about what is ACTUALLY happening or has happened it would be nice. I am watching CNN now with very general info. Thanks

Yep, my place is on the point, too. Seemed like a good idea at the time!
Be safe everyone and know we here on the left coast are sending prayers of one kind or another to see you all safely thru this challenge of mother nature. Best of good fortune getting some supplies gathered and everyone ascending to higher grounds.

Reading about the Chilean quake of 1960 which caused the last tsunami in Hilo Bay was very enlightening, it re awoke one of their volcanos and sent 85 foot waves in some spots up and down their coast. It was a 9.6 the largest quake ever recorded so this one is quite a measure smaller.

Photos out of Santiago this am were such a stark contrast to the photos out of Haiti, there were real fire trucks and safety infrastructure. It seemed everyone in Haiti was in the shirt on their back and without even a bottle of water, let alone safety personnel and fire trucks. What a contrast so inconsolable.

Pam and Bob always there with a helping hand, what a fine neighbor and friend to so many. Pammy enjoy NYC there will be plenty of work at the ranch when you return!

mella l

Paris London New York PUNA
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
11:19 am is the arrival time of the first waves.
Reports are 7 to 12 feet traveling at hundreds of miles per hour.
This is real.
Reports are now this is a possible repeat of Hilo Tsunami.
Is anyone hearing about evacuation of Downtown Hilo?

Hilo is going to get the worst of it according to NOAA. If they aren't evacuating downtown Hilo, I would still stay away.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/tsunami_msgs...1002271832

HILO 1105AM HST 2.5 METERS
HONOLULU 1137AM HST 0.5 METERS
KAHULUI 1126AM HST 2.2 METERS
NAWILIWILI 1142AM HST 0.9 METERS
HALEIWA 0.5 METERS
KAWAIHAE 0.6 METERS