Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things you miss and don't miss...
I cannot wait to move to Hawai'i! I live in Albuquerque, NM right now and it is starting into the high allergy season. To me, the air is toxic here. That's kind of bad because the last I heard you need air to survive. Whenever I go to Hawai'i, my allergies are alleviated.... immediately. I was meant to be there. I get back to Albuquerque after a couple of weeks on the Big Island and I start having nose bleeds for a couple of weeks until my tender nasal tissues have time to adjust to the 10 percent humidity. In any doctor's book...... 10 percent humidity is NOT HEALTHY!
LaurelJ..thanks for the heads up re: corn. I've never seen corn at Kea'au market, so I'll have to look a little harder next time. And let me quickly add that my newly acquired love of malasadas has helped cushion the blow of my sweet corn deficiency. As have the the wonderful people I've met here, the gorgeous flowers and plants, whales, dolphins, beaches, warm weather, the wonderful people, civilized pace of life, fresh bananas and other fruit fresh picked from our yard, etc., etc. etc. Oh, did I mention the wonderful people -- of all backgrounds??? No place I've ever lived as felt so right for me. So if canned corn is the price of admission, I'll deal with it Smile
Still in Atlanta but after many, many visits I have a pretty good idea of what I will miss:

1) Whole Foods or similar quality food stores. Hopefully they will build one in Hilo. I think they are getting started on the Kona Whole Foods later this year. I can get a lot of ingredients on-line such as good olive oil, spices etc but some of the cheeses and things like that cannot be shipped to Hawaii.
2) I will miss family & friends.
3) Good places to eat. I don't eat chain places so I can't imagine missing Olive Garden or anything like that where you are served canned, previously frozen items (just my opinion, no need to bash me). But I will miss chef driven establishments that use fresh local ingredients as much as possible.
4) I'll miss the fall. I love the change of leaves, chilly nights & a autumn harvest meal.

What I will not miss:
1) Heinous traffic jams.
2) The mainland "must have" attitude. OK, I know, that clashes a bit with what I will miss.
3) Allergies.
4) Cold weather.

What I look forward to most of all:
1) Growing a lot of my own fruits & vegetables year round.
2) Being near the ocean.
3) The Hawaii attitude.
4) Seeing the stars every night.

Atlanta/Pahoa
Atlanta/Pahoa
punagirl, you should check Ross for good olive oil and you might want to try http://iGourmet.com for cheeses. Even with the shipping fee added it's still cheaper than buying any REAL cheese at the supermarkets here.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,PB,ABR,CRB,CM,FHS
johnrabi@johnrabi.com
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
(This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors http://KonaBoardOfRealtors.info)
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

We used to buy that Olive Garden dressing at the restaurant by the bottle...yummy.

Carrie

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." Galadriel - LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
quote:
Originally posted by punagirl

I can get a lot of ingredients on-line such as good olive oil,

Try this place for Olive Oil. We have shopped there for years and
made a stop the last time we were on the Mainland.

http://www.theolivebar.com

"From knowledge comes understanding"
"From knowledge comes understanding"
Regarding allergies. I know others may not be so lucky, but I've been here a bit over 2 years and my allergies continue to be about 90% less than what they were in the Bay Area. I grew up in what I once read was the 2nd worst county to live in if you have seasonal allergies. I get allergies a couple times a year--when certain alien grasses bloom, and when albezia bloom. Even then those weeks are nothing like bad allergy weeks in CA. It's nice not to feel sick all the time.
We came from the worst place for allergies in the United States, the bottom of the Willamette valley in Oregon, where 90% of the world's grass seed is grown, plus tons of molds and mildew due to the rainy winters. My husband lived on allergy drugs there, and still was miserable most of the year, while I only got hammered twice a year. Here he is virtually allergy free, even after 4+ years, and I am totally allergic to Hawaii. I can even be out swimming in the ocean and will start sneezing!

I miss seeing my daughters regularly, having friends around who have known each other for so long that we know and accept each others' foibles and failings, and are still friends. Live music and theater were rare indulgences, but I miss having the option. And every weekend I miss having a really good place for breakfast where my vegan husband can eat a good meal and I can indulge in eggs and bacon, that was our weekend ritual for years.

On the other hand there is something about this place that just makes my heart soar, even stuck in bumper to bumper traffic driving to work in Hilo I still love that glimpse of the ocean you get by the Keaau HS, and watching the seasonal changes to the landscape here. Much more subtle than what we were used to, but very real once I learned what to look for.

And I really love my job here, as frustrated as I get trying to teach in the underfunded charter school system, I am able to really know my students and see them grow and develop as people. The kids here are actually more respectful and considerate here in many ways than the kids on the mainland, once you earn their respect. Here kids will rush to my car to help me carry heavy stuff to my room, in mainland schools they would just watch and act too cool to help.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
I miss good (and cheap!) Mexican food, and Pic'N'Save aka Big Lots. I think the old Safeway (once it vacates for the new location) would be a great spot for a Big Lots and I'm sure Hilo would love it. You never knew what you might find on any given day.
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH... There's an allergy to mango pollen, locals call "mango eye."

I was wondering why I couldnt get rid of my cold and teary eyes when I got back from the mainland! I got one big mango tree blooming about 15 ft from me!!! Duh!

Oh well, pretty soon the fruit will set!