Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social Networking
TonyB asked: "What kind of social networking takes place on the Big Island?"

I have enjoyed reading through the responses. It's kind of like 'Cheers'. Everybody's got a name. As you can see, there is 'an event' which everyone knows is going to be 'the thing' to do on Saturday morning, the Merrie Monarch Parade...and they are making arrangements to set up somewhere along the Parade route so anyone here who wishes can stop by and say 'aloha'. That's how the social networking works here. After you've lived here awhile you will know so many people. My hubby and I are loners...we know a ton of people but we are not 'social' in nature. I know more people than does my hubby so I send him to the store to avoid running into anyone and having to 'talk story'. When I first moved here the Realtor that showed us around said you cannot go to the store and run in buy something and run out. You are sure to bump into someone you know who will want to talk. It was no lie.

I don't think you need worry about collecting friends here. Everyone is pretty friendly and many are very social. My sister visited me a year ago. She stayed for a week. By the time she left she said she felt like she was leaving friends behind because she had bumped into several people at various functions or places and began to recognize them, even knowing their names. We attended the PGV 15 yr anniversary event and she actually knew everyone sitting at our table! It happens that fast here, if you are of the 'visting' nature.

When we first arrived, the elderly lady from across the street brought us produce that she had raised on her farm. She arrived at our door, food and smile in hand. Initially I resented someone just walking up to my door uninvited, but over time she wore me down with her loving neighborly ways and we wound up being 'card' playing friends on the week ends. She was truly a wonderful blessing. We became their surrogate kids getting them to places they needed to get. Her husband was 91 and she was 80. Hard working life long residents here and just the most humble folks.

I do miss my family, but not enough to move back to the rat race. Thank goodness for the internet where you can stay in touch.

“A penny saved is a government oversight.”
"Q might have done the right thing for the wrong reason, perhaps we need a good kick in our complacency to get us ready for what's ahead" -- Captain Picard, to Guinan (Q Who?)
aloha critterlover,

you are both welcome to join us if you would love to see the parade with friends, we will have some pop-ups set up and will be directly across from the texaco station which is next to the farmers market...i'll probably have a red baseball cap on...

Noel

http://noelmorata.blogspot.com/