Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seaview BOD meeting
The letter is extremely important especially if it serves to deflect individual comments. Here’s the scenario.

Under County Law, the criteria for granting a use permit requires the commission to evaluate the application as it pertains to:

“the proposed use shall be consistent with the general purpose of the zoning district, the intent and purpose of this chapter, and the general plan;” Unless your asking to build a rendering plant in the middle of high density residential, the project really just needs to be consistent with the character of the community.

“the proposed use shall not unreasonably burden public agencies to provide roads and streets, sewer, water, drainage, schools, police and fire protection and other related infrastructure.” This is straight forward, the various agencies have to state if the project will have any negative impact.

It’s the third item that presents the most problems. “the proposed use shall not be materially detrimental to the public welfare nor cause substantial, adverse impact to the community’s character, to surrounding properties;” For a long time, this area has never been defined enough to give weight to one item or another. Is it community, or is it individual impact? The commission applied the standard based on whose voice was louder, or what economic impact had a more favorable return. In looking back over other decisions, there is no clear guide and often it sways based on who’s sitting on the commission at that time.

Note the law specifically mentioned surrounding properties and community character, not expanded community or district wide issues. If the applicant property is located in some type of association, by getting the association to endorse the project, it tends to indicate that the community and surrounding properties are also endorsing the project. This method has been successful because opposition tends to throw up their hands believing that if the association is backing a project, the individual has little or no say.

However, recent incidents in Maui and Honolulu Counties show that one adjoining property owner’s opposition has as much if not more weight than the entire association because State law requires that if there is a reasonable negative impact on a property owner, the applicant needs to mitigate that impact. HCC requires no adverse impact to surrounding property owners. Even if there is deemed no substantial or adverse impact to all but one property owners, the fact that there is that one, that alone may jeopardize the application approval. Using an association is nothing but a mobbing.

Many places on the mainland have since changed variance/special permit procedures to weigh association views only after the individual property owners had their say. Many associations have amended their by-laws to offer no endorsements unless all members approve. The reason associations have changed their position is because if there turns out to be some financial, emotion, or physical lost to a property owner due to the approval of a project the association endorsed, guess who’s door the attorneys start knocking on?
As someone who doesn't live in Seaview, I hesitated before posting in this thread, but since others with no vested interest have joined the discussion, I figured "why not?"

Although SPACE is seeking BOD approval (which, as others have stated, is a dicey issue), the BOD could perform a valuable role in the process by simply submitting comments which reflect the diverse views of the community without giving the proposal an "official" thumbs up or thumbs down. They could say that as a Board, they represent a community with conflicting interests. Those in favor of SPACE cite these benefits (X,X,X) while those opposed cite these concerns (X,X,X). If there are any proposed solutions that would bridge the gap between the two camps, or concerns that the Board has about precedents that might be set if the proposed use is approved, they could cite them as well, and then conclude by asking the Planning Commission to keep all these factors in mind when the final decision is made.
I haven't seen the proposal,so I don't know how I am going to vote.
But have to ask - were all the residents (including those who live on the mainland or a different country)were informed about this meeting in advance and given enough time to respond?

It has been 3 months(?) since the SPACE issue meeting.

Whatever you assume,please
just ask a question first.
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan S.

Well Rob,In my opinion with a general election or vote,everyone should be able to cast their vote,but on a limited board vote,conflicts of interest are not what keep the public process healthy.
Does the BOD have the authority to vote on and issue an endorsement? What does the By-Laws say?
quote:
Originally posted by StillHope

I haven't seen the proposal,so I don't know how I am going to vote.
But have to ask - were all the residents (including those who live on the mainland or a different country)were informed about this meeting in advance and given enough time to respond?
Yes, this is a Board meeting not a Member meeting, they only require 5 (five) day notice.
SECTION 3: Regular Board Meetings – The Board of Directors Meeting shall be held monthly on a day and time that is most convenient for the members of the Board and notice of such meetings shall be posted at lease five (5) days before the date of the meeting. KESCA residents are encouraged to attend and participate in regular monthly board meetings.
Stillhope,

At a BOD meeting you don't get to vote, only comment. You would be allowed to vote if there was a special membership meeting called. That would require notice to all property owners.

KeaauRich,
I understand what you are saying, but a letter like that would be a bit redundant since that is already the process that the County would follow.

Having been on a board in the past, I feel that a letter from the BOD is inappropriate in this case.

Dan
There is a member that has retained a lawyer to appose this application.
Since the time of the original meeting I haven't been following this issue too closely, but I thought that there had to be public meetings held and a public comment period to the county for any special permits. Is that already going on? Is this letter or meeting supposed to be in lieu of that process? If so I think a lot of people will be left out.

L.C.
I believe that the Seaview BoD meeting and letter request is in advance of the Planning Commission having a public meeting at which anyone and everyone can comment for or against any application or issue before the commission.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Why "in advance" ?
In general the whole SPACE issue is confusing.

1.The problem started with noise issue as a result of SPACE violating the conditions of the special permit.

2.In response SPACE is asking for another permit which could create even more noise.
Please,note that I did not say "will create" more noise.
I said "could".I haven't received any proposed change documents.

3.Now SPACE is asking for the letter of support from BOD "in advance"?(Prior to the residents official statements?)

Whatever you assume,please
just ask a question first.