Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiking trail head
The path is now a part of the State's trail system: Na Ala Hele and is closed to all but hiking. Any other form of transport on the trail is subject to the DLNR police enforcement that shows up randomly but with some regularity. They are not fun to deal with.
So, no bicycles either?

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I ride a bike out to the Kaloli Point part of the path regularly without a problem, but rarely see anyone there except fisherman. I don't think it would be possible to ride much of the trail out to Shipman Beach, too many rough, and to many muddy sections.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Kapoho Coast Road is not recommended if you are not Kanaka. I've been down that road twice, slowly and respectfully both times. Both times I was harassed and chased by groups of men who shouted threats and threw things. Forget about stink eye - you might just disappear...
Clarification: The residents of KINGS LANDING VILLAGE are NOT squatters. It is a closely regulated community of families. Some been there many years. Some are newer residents. But trust me, the village is legal and closely regulated. Yes, many are low-income Hawaiians. D Stink eye and dogs simply come with the territory. Consider it homeland security. If you come in peace, no worries. You should at the very least be able to handle one stink eye. And just so you know, "the gaze" is a very old practice. You may interpret it as a stink eye, but is is simply a old native, NON-western, non-mainland way of non-verbally asking the following: Who are you? Who is your family? And do you come in peace? Surely, over the years, the original intent has since evolved to.....stay on your trail, and keep on movin'. In this day and age, not all folks come in peace. So before the eyes are interpreted as stink, perhaps there is another interpretation that is less stink....or with a better breath than the interpretations being noted on this thread.

Shouting and throwing things is going a little beyond just "the gaze."

When we lived in Keaukaha we started down that road exactly once. We were stopped by a very unfriendly young man right away who told us in no uncertain terms that no matter what the maps said we were not welcome there, should turn around, and go back to wherever we came from, this was well before we reached any of the houses on that road in a very empty stretch.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Firstly, the public access thru Hawn. Homes is sketchy at best, and DLNR never returned my call requesting details. A friend and I have been allowed thru a few times to fish after talking story with the keeper of the gate when OPEN. If closed, fugedit. At the Shipman-Hawn Homes bounday we followed a fishing trail at the vegetation edge along the coast a few miles to Papai Bay going in, and walked a portion of the old road back out. Fairly EZ going either way.

From the Kaloli end, I once hiked past Haena a mile or so along the trail-less coast to fish. For a change of pace I decided to follow a trail that appeared to head back to the old inland coastal road. Big mistake! It was at least a half mile ruff trek before connecting with the old "road" which was unmaintained and grown over with shrubbery in spots. Mostly, it was dank, dark, and muddy. By the time I emerged from the jungle at Haena I was exhausted. If that kind of challenge excites you go for it but it is NOT a walk in the park like the state maintained Shipman Beach trail. And actually the "road" between between Hawn Homes and Haena is clearly signed as "Private". My topo map delineates the distance between Papai and Haena as 4-5 miles.

Aloha aina, aloha kai
Aloha aina, aloha kai
thats one long long walk... just saying
I have done all of that coast at some time or another, but never one long walk... its slow in some areas because you will want to stay right along the shore..
like others noted.... the 'locals' there are not the kindest to strangers... (I always stay right on the shore for this reason alone)

and bring good kine bug spray, and expect some leg scratches in the damp hala forest and scrambling over the coastal boulders especially near Kings Landing (Papa'i) area

PS when I said "squatters" earlier, I also meant long time 'campers' to go with those who live in the so called 'legal' shacks closer to the shore, not the ones on that dirt road...... Ive had them yell at me too, and I just yell back louder they all harmless as long as you dont get too close to their places unannounced IMO

some recent pics of mine of Papa'i area...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=744612692235374&l=3f55a1d957
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=744612068902103&l=55989cc55e
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=744780608885249&l=1846cce853
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=744618838901426&l=215eebf5f5

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
I too have had the experience of "this is private property, get outta here" past King's Landing reminiscent of Kalapana Gardens. But it is not difficult to find the old "jeep" roads past Haena (shipman beach).
Just cross past the beach and enter along the shore. Then hike as far as you like and return via the Na Ala Hele trail.
bananahead -
thanks for posting the great photos. It's nice to get a visual to go with everyone's description of the Papa'i Coast.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves