Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving to Puna
quote:
BTW- No one has answered my question about the wild pigs! LOL
I started to answer this earlier but accidentally deleted it. Then I figured I wasn't on island and I haven't hunted there so what did I know. Generally I think the edibility of wild hogs depends on your taste buds and their forage. In areas where they mainly eat the wild roots etc. they can be very gamey and would need to be caught and then fed for a bit to improve the flavor. The boars are best cut and then fed for a bit before slaughter. Again, it depends on your taste buds. In areas where they are eating lots of fruit (oranges come to mind from my experience) they can be very good without needing to be caught and fed first. I would think that would be true of those feeding largely on guava and papaya etc. I wonder about those foraging largely on mac nuts.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
When I was deciding to move to the big island i took the naysayer's advice and visited a few times first. Each visit has only cemented my resolve more.
Jenny,

Wild pigs: we have neighbors that hunt & share...so we have had the meat of a few of the wild piggies. Most are tasty, but tougher meat (more stew meat than pork "tender"loin...) Very good for smoke meat, but much of the sausages they make are more fatty than we like (the fat does make the sausages less chewy...)

Gourds: Holualoa has the Ipu Hale Gallery, Michael Harburg & a very involved artist community are dedicated to bringing back, and sending forward, the tradition Hawaiian gourd work (including classes, seed exchanges & such). The Gallery is well worth a long visit...
Links:
http://hawaiigourdsociety.com/
http://www.ipuguy.com/
Thanks Carey. I am familiar with Michael's work-he does a lovely job with traditional techniques! I have been involved with our gourd society in Kentucky as a teacher and an artist and would like to do the same in Hawaii. Thanks for the links!
Is there a season on the pigs and can you hunt them with a bow?
Have any of you had experience with the Volcano Art Center? Do they offer art classes there year round?
We are members of VAC, and yes they do have classes (a wide variety -inc. art, forest tours & field trips) year -round. Link:
http://volcanoartcenter.org/
DLNR hunting summary has the info on LEGAL hunting (this state has few hunting license holder per active hunters....so there are a number who may not follow the letter of the law... most local pig hunters use dogs & knife) link:
http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dofaw/hunting/gam...g%20season
Oink, We have MANY tangerine trees on our land (I stopped counting at 30) so the pigs should be tasty?

terracore, the naysayers just want to keep the island to themselves.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
A hunter I know says the pigs in lower Puna are tastier than Mauka pigs because of all the fruit and avocados they eat.

I agree about the local sausage I've sampled: way to fatty for my taste.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
quote:
Originally posted by DTisme...
Great advice here - It took us 3 2-week visits to decide where we wanted to be. And even now I'm always looking at other areas and wondering. Every time I drive thru Honoka'a I wish we'd given it more attention when we were deciding!

DT, I'm like you! Even after 22 years here, I still want to try other locations - like So Point next - or maybe I am just a "mover" but so far Puako and Kapoho have been my personal favorites.

My journey so far Waimea-Puako-Honokaa-Hilo-Orchidland-HPP- Honomu - HiAcres- Kapoho (longest at 7 years).
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

When I was deciding to move to the big island i took the naysayer's advice and visited a few times first. Each visit has only cemented my resolve more.

That's why I love you. Always up for an adventure!

Jennysart: I'm breaking into the field of art, and so far the internet is my playground. I'd love to sell locally but I think my particular type of artwork would never sell in small communities.

I have a 14, soon to be 15 year old daughter. We've decided to keep her in HighSchool here in Juneau Alaska and move after she graduates. So unless she does it early (which she's working on) it'll be 3.5 years till we move. I can see education as an issue.

I'm keeping my daughter in school here because I think we have one of the best school systems in the country. I'd want to keep her here regardless of where we chose to move.

ps, we love the Hilo side of the island, that's where we bought out three acres.

Dayna

www.AvianNation.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
Lots of great comments and advice on here. You guys and gals are already making us feel welcome and we are still months away from being there. The cold is setting in here...lots of frost..my garden is dead and I am dreading winter. I am looking forward to a more comfortable climate and GREEEEEN all year round. No more dead, drab, aching cold.
Is flooding something we should be worried about when looking for a rental in Puna/Pahoa? And are there specific areas one would advise that we stay away from?
Thanks!