Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burial in HPP
Interesting, Carey, thanks for that!
Derailing us from talk of bodily decomp, I can deal with that.
The property across the street from us on 16th at the Maku'u end has a well and we saw a lot of places with wells in HPP when house shopping. Our neighbor said he tested his water regularly for the first few years and it always tested clean. I don't know if his tenants are still testing the water.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
You're supposed to get a permit to bury someone (it's $25 and you're supposed to indicate on the property map where you're planning on burying them). You are also required to bury them within 48 hours so it's best to be prepared.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
I wonder if the permit is needed for animals also?
Speaking of being prepared; Don't wait for someone else to pick out your memorial stone. You never know what they'll say about you. Talk to the nice young lady at STONEFACE in the Maku'u Market on Sundays and develop your own memorial ahead of time; "He/she was loved by millions" for example; or "Great sense of humor",or possibly; "an extremely beautiful person", You just can't trust others to get it right.

[Big Grin]
You mean I can finally be proclaimed "Empress of the Known and Unknown Universe" as my students jokingly (I think jokingly anyway) call me?

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Anyone know the cost of digging a well here? mahalo.
SECRET KNOWLEDGE - "NOT FOR US TO KNOW"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91qs9v-upWI
My stone is going to say "Would you mind not standing on my stomach???"
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

I wonder that there aren't more wells here. Anyone know the reason why catchment is the popular method?
For the most part, the rock here is so porous that water seeps down relatively quickly, so you have to drill down nearly to sea level to reach the freshwater "lens" of the aquifer. The closer you are to the coast, the thinner the freshwater layer is; below this is saltwater that intrudes from the ocean.

There are some springs from small perched aquifers, but not many. There are (or were) quite a few artesian wells on Oahu, because the lava dikes there are made of extremely dense, impermeable rock. But when they cut tunnels through the mountains for irrigation, many of the wells and natural springs dried up because the released the pressure and the aquifers drained.
My stone is going to say "I used to say I'll sleep when I'm dead, but if you can wake me do it, nevermind what I said".