Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cost of a catchment tank cover
Thanks, Dave (and Sandy!), that's useful advice. I think the cover I have now must have been one of the more expensive ones - it's at least 15 years old and suspect it's nearer 25 so has done well. Personally I think I'd go for the more durable cover as long as we're only talking about a hundred bucks or so difference in price which seems to be the case right now.

For those that have purchased covers, did they come with the rope needed to secure the thing or was that a separate purchase/cost?

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
$75 at amazon with free shipping: https://www.amazon.com/PoolTux-121225A-Winter-21-Feet-Ground/dp/B004VU94PC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1358210195&sr=1-1&keywords=PoolTux+121225A+King+Winter+Cover&linkCode=ll1&tag=pw016-20&linkId=c7341628e5d2eead6b847c0639dde074

comes with a wire cable and ratchet tool to secure it tightly. It's gray on one side and black on the other, so you can choose which color you want to look at.

This is a WATERPROOF cover, so if you need direct rain (no roof diversion) to fill your tank, this wont work.

I always recommend shopping locally, however the "catchment tank covers" sold locally are made out of shade fabric (like at an anthurium farm) and the fabric isn't made for the purpose, nor is it approved for drinking water. Neither are the swimming pool covers but the idea is that it never contacts your catchment water. (I know that our roofs are also not FDA approved for drinking water but this is something that I can control). Also- one of the points of a catchment tank cover is to keep the sun from growing algae in your tank. Shade fabric may not be adequate for that if your tank is in direct sun all day.

How long does it last? I don't know. It says it has a 15 year warranty, but I'm sure putting it on a catchement tank voids the warranty. I would guess by looking at it that it lasts about as long as a typical catchment "shade fabric" cover.

ETA: fix link
Waterworks has two qualities of covers; one lasts a few years, the other several years. I think the cost for our 20' tank was going to be around $250 for the cheaper, $400 for the better.

Wow, that Amazon cover looks like a great deal. If you look for other sizes notice that the "Emperor" is 8mm, the "Royal" is 5mm thick

The smart way to do it, is go to "Rudy's Shade Cloth" and have them custom design one for you. It is UV protected and they can put grommets on it, and it will last you for many years. Just let them know you'll be using it for your catchment, they know what U/V % to use, I forget what ours is. They are located over by the zoo. On that road, take the 1st left and it's the 2nd building on the left. Periodically, put a box of baking soda in your tank, add to a bucket first, to dilute it, then pour it in, then spray your cover down,at least once a month, this will reduce mold/dirt. On your down spout, place a knee high nylon, this keeps the big dirt out.
We have also used the 40% shade cloth for our porch, it's a lot sturdier than the regular screen, and you don't have to piece it together.
Iselle ruined our cover, so I had to get a new one.

Here's the prices today for a 10,000 gallon tank (23 foot wide cover) at Island Catchment in HPP:

Standard cover with 3-5 years life expectancy: $150
Higher quality cover with 10-15 years life expectancy: $250

Using the pessimistic life expectancies of 3 or 10 years, $50/year for standard or $25 for HQ.
We got two 10x 20 shade cloth tarps and loosely stitched them together with nylon line at the grommets. That made nice a 20x20 tarp that covers our 17' pool. It's important to use material that water will pass through.

Total cost from Ace; $80
Tom, it looks like you have your catchment cover worked out, but I had to comment on those stunning pictures! They are incredible. One day I'll have to invest in a good camera and learn how to use it (hopefully before my eyes deteriorate too badly!)
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Hi Lee M-S,

Thats probably 5mil and 8mil ... Not mm.

aloha,
pog
nice landscape shots Tom, I like how you let the shutter speed breathe a little so you get the nice motion in the water !
Raised on a Metric system. Mil refers to measured fluids, MM to refers to length or thickness. Am I wrong? Alzheimer's?

punalvr
punalvr