Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 HPP Internet Service Provider Survey
quote:
Originally posted by hereonearth

I am in the middle of the park and recently having serious problems with my Hawaiiantel DSL. I have even lost connection several times today. Speeds today, download 0.74 Mbps upload 0.13 Mbps. I have a call in with Hawaiiantel to check it out, but I am curious if other are having issues at the moment. Thank you.

Seeb is right, and it happens frequently. I would be interested to hear what Hawaiian Tel has to say. We have cable on our road, but I haven't switched because I'm very happy with the cost and channel line-up on my satellite provider. I guess I'm too cheap to get just the Roadrunner without the discount for having all the other stuff.
So far no response from Hawaiiantel and my upload & download speed remained consistant all weekend. We don't pay for any cable or satellite television (frugal to a fault), so our internet is important to us. Still would like to hear what others in HPP are getting from HITel as I pay a "premium" for faster service (yes, I can hear you all laughing). It may just be our wiring or router...
Yesterday my complaint paid off, I am now getting faster speeds close to the promised speed I pay for, 6.16Mbps download just a moment ago. I also learned that if you have static on your landline, check to see if you have a cell phone nearby searching for a signal. That was news to me!
You're fortunate! When I had them in Seaview it got to under 56k modem speeds every day for years. No amount of complaining helped and the customer service person on Oahu told me repeatedly they have no plans to improve service where I live and had long ago stopped signing up any new members. She said she regularly had customers offering to pay more for better service but she always had to tell them it simply was not going to happen.
Hi, my husband and I are moving to our home on 9th Ave. in HPP soon and we are having trouble trying to find a DSL provider. I have contacted every company that I have seen on this thread, but can't seem to find one that can get us high speed DSL. I was told that if I used Dish TV and got DSL through them, I would get high speed DSL with their Earthlink associate. I checked Earthlink and they said they don't service my area. I already know there is no cable and only dial up through the phone company for the Kaloli side of 9th. Also, any ideas on what sat TV to go with? Look forward to meeting you all, we get so much great info here. Thanks, Jeannie
Not all internet upload/download speed tests are created equal. There are speed tests where you download a file from Oahu on a more local network, and there are speed tests where you download a file from New York, New York (or wherever you choose) over trans-pacific cable connections. When you're surfing the web, clicking from link to link, you're hitting servers and downloading resources from all over the place. There are companies like Akamia that watch for what people do and download and try to cache the files regionally close to you. This sort of local regional caching really does help a lot. Honestly though, in my opinion, if you're interested in measuring the bandwidth you're going to see day-to-day, you're much better off running speed tests where you're downloading files from different locations on the mainland, not pulling files from Oahu and the local islands.

Cheers!