Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lilikoi Juice
Aloha and yummmmm.... for those recipes calling for lilikoi puree as opposed to juice, is that the pulp plus seeds all blended up together? Thanks to all for the great recipes!
I can't wait to make some lilikoi margaritas this weekend!
quote:
Originally posted by Kiana

Aloha and yummmmm.... for those recipes calling for lilikoi puree as opposed to juice, is that the pulp plus seeds all blended up together? Thanks to all for the great recipes!

IMO, Kiana, the seeds are not part of "pulp", however, trying to remove them is a pain in the kazoo! Some people use a blender (on low, don't want to grind the seeds), etc. I choose the cheesecloth because my Tutu did that.

Just made pork chops for the mo'opuna, with lilikoi (pure juice), white honey, Hawaiian salt (alae kine), garlic, & pepper.

Ono!

(I'm loving Kelena's old post of "I could lick this thread..." Indeed!) LOL! [:p]
I'm eating homemade lilikoi ice cream right now! Mmm mmm[:p]
I run it through the blender real quick, which breaks the pulp free from the seeds, then strain it to remove the seeds. I do the same thing with guava, and when both are ripe, I do them together.

quote:
Originally posted by Kiana

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
quote:
Originally posted by shave_ice

I'm eating homemade lilikoi ice cream right now! Mmm mmm[:p]

OMG, sounds delicious! Recipe, please....Pretty please??? [:p]
quote:
OMG, sounds delicious! Recipe, please....Pretty please??? [:p]

The first batch of ice cream I made was just vanilla bean (using my home grown vanilla) using the following recipe. For the second batch, I used the same recipe and added the juice of three lilikois.

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream:

1 cup half and half
1/2 cup sugar, divided
2 tablespoons light colored corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
3 large egg yolks

Combine half and half, 1/4 cup sugar, corn syrup, salt and evaporated milk in saucepan. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean. Add seeds and bean to milk mixture. Heat mixture until 180 degrees or until tiny bubbles form around the edge (don't boil). Remove pan from heat, cover and let stand 10 minutes.

Combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar and egg yolk in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Gradually add hot milk mixture to egg mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Return milk mixture to pan. Cook over medium heat until a thermometer registers 160 degrees, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let cool completely. (I put it in the fridge). Once cooled, strain mixture and put in ice cream maker.
For all lilikoi lovers, there is a lilikoi festival tomorrow in HPP form 10-3.
It's at the HPP Hui. There will also be lilikoi cookbooks for sale with all the greatest recipes.
shave_ice, mahalo for the recipe for ice cream! Kids weekend mission; pick lilikoi, squeeze juice, make ice cream (Tutu gets to test first. [Smile])!