Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT groundbreaking - live
What's the point?

Galileo's discovery that the earth revolves around the sun didn't have immediate impacts other than to cause him trouble with the church, but it would be hard to argue against how it helped change the way we humans view our place in the universe today. And the effect of that if not infinite, is certainly in the billions and billions.

More recently, the discovery of exo-planets points to the possibility that we may not be the only form of life in the universe. If there are other life forms, think of the implications for us here on earth.

Asteroids? They're out there. All astronomy needs to do is discover one headed for earth, that we might divert. What price tag would you put on that? If the earth avoided an asteroid strike it sure would put a lot of food on the table, and possibly prevent some wars while we were all working together to save the planet. It's in the realm of possibility.

"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
seems Southernmost is the localest of the local, exudes local, the very essence of local. the true representative voice for what it is to be LOCAL. if you know your place and tow the line right you too can feel like a provisional member of the club, if only by association. just no question the mighty proclamations Captain Local. green bottles!
Being Keiki o ka 'a'ina from Ka'u, guarantee bra! Cheeehu!

Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
There's really no point in debating this any further. If the mountain gods forbid it, who are we humans to argue with them with our worthless science and logic. And if some group of humans decides to speak for the mountain gods, the rest of us have to believe them. Makes sense to me.
Hereontheprimaledge,

Divert an asteroid?

Are you being silly? We just watched civil defense say they would not make any attempts to divert a very slow moving lava flow.

unforeseen consequences

Former Puna Beach Resident
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
quote:
Originally posted by randomq

There's really no point in debating this any further. If the mountain gods forbid it, who are we humans to argue with them with our worthless science and logic. And if some group of humans decides to speak for the mountain gods, the rest of us have to believe them. Makes sense to me.

My sentiments exactly, thanks for the concise and precise vocalization.
Are you being silly? We just watched civil defense say they would not make any attempts to divert a very slow moving lava flow.

If it ever were to happen, I don't think the operation would be headed by the County of Hawaii. If it were (for the sake of argument), I'll give credit where credit is due. CofH would do an excellent job letting us know the exact time the asteroid would hit.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by dakine

Until this discussion started I didn't have any great feeling one way or the other about the telescopes on Mauna Kea, though as I have said I have a lot of awe for the science and the technology. But the further we go in this discussion and the more disrespect and unwillingness to read and consider what others say without having the need to lash out, especially by those here that express no patience for the Hawaiian movement, the more I question my own assumptions. Interesting how the push and pull of opposing ideas causes one to hone their own. For instance I have recently asked myself:

What does astronomy really do for mankind? When we see some great discovery announced in the press what is being gained? Is the discovery of black holes or whatever elemental structures, star dust etc., really serve to help us, mankind, in any way? Does looking back in time, for it is backwards that the telescopes gaze, provide us with tools to apply as we go forward? Does it make us better, kinder, healthier? Does it put food on the table, or make better medicine? Who gains what from all the staring at the stars?

For me to have stumbled upon that question and not find an immediate and glaringly positive answer means (to me) that for all of it we aren't really benefitting in proportion to what is being invested. And, maybe, as exciting as it all is it's not in keeping with our needs. In fact maybe it's taking too much from a world that has extensive needs that aren't being met as it is?

On this planet we still have wars, we have famine, we have malnourished and uneducated, we have extreme poverty. We have sick and dying, and we have an ecosystem that is collapsing. In all of that we have arguments over expenditures of money when we know that if we were to spend enough we could fix it all. Truly, the race to build an atomic bomb, the Manhattan Project, showed us what could be done if we want something enough to just throw all the money necessary at it. In all of that what good is our syphoning off of funds for astronomy done for us? Especially when there are so many other places that need those funds badly.

If there isn't some glaringly obvious gain, why is anyone arguing so strenuously for it? I mean yeah it's way cool and all but at the expense of so much and in the light of so much opposition what does it really matter?

Really, in the light of so much opposition what does it really matter? Is there really something to be gained? Or is just the act of dominance important? What's the point?

Oh boy - how to address a keyboard jockey luddite?
quote:
Originally posted by randomq

Amen!
quote:
Originally posted by Southernmost

Punatick, please show your Hawaiian friends all your posts and see if they are still your friends. That is if they are actually real.

I prefer the company of those of noble character. None of my Hawaiian blood friends support sovereignty, they all find it embarrassing, ignorant and holding us all back from greater potential. Many are humanitarians and well known for their good works. Truly good people get beyond race and nationality. It doesn't matter.

Your signature, "Born & Raised Hawai'i Island" tells everyone here that you:

a. believe in entitlement regarding where one was raised/born. that is separatism, not a productive or helpful trait, it causes discord and bad vibes on this island. no one is better or more entitled to life.

b. you are most likely a racist in the guise of reverse racism. eventually you will come around to respecting all people equally, until you do you will not be a happy person.