Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT groundbreaking - live
This is the kind of thing that really kills credibility. The summit is a desert. It gets a little snow and rain, very little. Whatever makes it from the summit all the way down into the aquifer would not even register compared to the vast amounts of water that fall on the lower elevations. In some parts of the world the water supply does come from snow-melt from the mountains, BUT NOT HAWAII. Many parts of the world have freshwater aquifers hundreds or thousands of feet deep, BUT NOT HAWAII. In many parts of the world the water being pumped out of the ground is ancient, many thousands of years old, BUT NOT HAWAII. We are talking about Hawaii, right? And you do care about accuracy, truth, credibility, and the like, right?
quote:
Originally posted by randomq

"Why is Astronomy Important?" http://arxiv.org/pdf/1311.0508

There are also articles out there on the almost $60 million direct / $30 million indirect that astronomy brings to the Big Island economy. And the $1 million in "THINK" funds, which are apparently given to and allocated by local organizations.

Of all the benefits inspired or discovered by astronomy, I'm looking forward to fusion, which will mean the end to hunger, water shortages, pollution, and global warming. A lot of great things become possible with unlimited free clean energy...

Soon... http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/product...usion.html

------------

The world will become so messed up with free energy. And people will be unrecognizably fat with lifespans around 25. And despite this, populations will soar. A pipe dream to some for decades, would be a nightmare. A ridiculously lazy and SCARY scenario for human destiny brought to you by the major shareholders of Lockheed Martin.

NICE group demonstrating by the airport today! Lots of honking, smiles, etc.
Mark,

Fyi,

UH researchers recently found a huge aquifer between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea.

To be clear I'm not advocating against the TMT or saying that any telescopes will impact said aquifer.

But, just saying.

Aloha mai kakou
Let's see now, there are 12 or 13 of the largest observatories in the world already on this sacred mountain Maunakea. Now the world wants a thirty meter telescope on top of the most observatory populated mountain in the world. How can all these tons of manmade material, waste, and pollution be good for, or help protect Maunakea? This mountain is 40% above our earths atmosphere, also she stands drier and darker than most other mountains in the world. These are a few of the reasons MaunaKea leads the astronomy world today.
JMO here. Really this exploitation and decimation of Hawaii's tallest and most sacred mountain has been to much to fast. Yes it is nice to have Hawaii on the map, most Hawaiians would probably just like the security of a home and land instead of another telescope that would be 1 of 13. Before Hawaii becomes the center of the universe when it gets its thirty meter telescope, it would be with respect to make sure every full blooded Hawaiian had land or a home here within the islands. Land is not getting cheaper in Hawaii, and homeless is on the rise, even here in Hawaii county.
Maybe we should free Tibet before they build the telescope also. And colonize the moon. And end word hunger.

OR

Maybe we should let some random people with no experience making decisions of magnitude decide what everyone should do for any arbitrary reason they might conjure.

ALSO,

Hawai'i was sacred to my gods before any humans made landfall so all the Hawaiians should leave.

Just sayin.
quote:
Originally posted by MarkP

This is the kind of thing that really kills credibility. Many parts of the world have freshwater aquifers hundreds or thousands of feet deep, BUT NOT IN HAWAII. We are talking about Hawaii, right? And you do care about accuracy, truth, credibility, and the like, right?

Rainyjim: FYI, researchers recently found a huge aquifer between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea.

Southernmost: [^]

Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
21 Celebrities and all people around the world stand up for Mauna Kea

http://www.buzzfeed.com/twistedcuts/21-c...tand-1h2lq

Also Kelly Slater 11 time world champion and world famous pro surfer has joined. Look him up guys.....#wearemaunakea

ETA: added champion. Also mahalo for the insta link to Kelly da kine.
truck all waste generated from this telescope off the mountain, so there won't be any impact

Exactly: the truck traffic is zero-impact, as demonstrated by the pristine condition of our lovely "privately owned" roads.

Also, they never spill any waste, or otherwise dispose of it improperly.

Would the TMT be allowed in Hilo if it couldn't get a sewer connection?
Speaking of credibility;
Where some advocate "Freedom of Religion" as being able to worship the deity of your choice wherever and whenever you want, the teapublican double speak lolo's would say; "Hawai'i was sacred to my gods before any humans made landfall so all the Hawaiians should leave",(as advocated by rainyjim)

just sayin.....
Any -- We Are TMT -- kind of sites out there?

If you believe there are more people against the TMT than for it based on social media, how about this? We put the TMT up for a statewide vote, and everyone agrees to abide by the outcome.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves