Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT groundbreaking - live
Always amusing when the anti-science types spread their crooked gospel via the internet.
[quote]Originally posted by MarkP

Gotta admit I was not aware of the shallow aquifer in the saddle region but my point is still valid that very little of the water in it comes from the top of mauna kea. I still feel that harping on the TMT affecting any aquifers is bogus.

Southernmost: Sorry, wrong again. The scientists using the term shallow are referring to how shallow they had to dig to reach it. It is huge. Read the whole article, it's states aquifers can be found on Hawaii Island where scientists never would've even thought they exist.Cred is gone braddah, pau fo you.

http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/local-ne...r-expected

Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
quote:
Originally posted by lavalava

quote:
Originally posted by Southernmost

Last post for this thread( too many already!)

Famous last words!

Back again huh? What a kook.
point is still valid that very little of the water in it comes from the top of mauna kea. I still feel that harping on the TMT affecting any aquifers is bogus.

------------

And that is correct - Mauna Kea is a desert area. Very little, if any, water (generally in the form of snowfall) would make it into that aquifer.
Hmm... and both sides entrench deeper.

While I agree with dakine in seeing activism and engagement as positive, HOTPE's solution of a state-wide vote is a more accurate and honest measurement of wide-spread sentiment. Of course, this would continue to marginalize certain strong views, as they are in the populational, cultural, & political minority. While I think most of us can understand the strong desire for increased self-determination, the process of enacting this ideal is a very messy affair.

Unfortunately, part of that mess is the mix of stances coming from the #aoleTMT movement itself. It is difficult to understand how they can be decrying the breaking of state & federal law and process, but also denouncing these laws as invalid because of the 1893 overthrow and illegal occupation. Or to be seeking a continuation of the Hawaiian Kingdom while carrying images of Ku, the worship of which was outlawed during the Hawaiian Kingdom.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2015/0...mauna-kea/

Perhaps I am just dumb (being HA-OLE and all), or perhaps the umbrella of the movement is too big to allow for a consistent claim beyond #wearemaunakea, but this approach feels duplicitous or opportunistic in some ways. Probably just another difficult question that will remain unanswered.

There are a couple notable voices absent from this discussion lately. Most likely they are busy in the real world, but hopefully they might lend their experienced insights at some point.
Read it twice Southernmost. Nowhere does it say that the aquifer is huge. It says it's there where nobody expected it to be. All very preliminary. The article referenced various groups and entities that might benefit from pumped water in the saddle area, including Hawaiian Homelands who is looking to lease land to others, but that aquifer is not currently being exploited. It would make far more sense to me for people, and not just Native Hawaiians, to protest the use of the aquifer rather than the TMT. In other parts of the world aquifers that were only a couple of hundred feet down are now thousands of feet down due to overuse. How long this one would last is unknown.

Did you know that the fresh water lense under the Ewa plain on Oahu used to be maintained by the irrigation of sugar cane? When the cultivation of cane ceased various wells in that area turned brackish. So there is water a few hundred feet down in the saddle today, in an area that gets very little rainfall. There might not be tomorrow. The article you repeatedly reference does nothing to refute that.
quote:
[i]Originally posted by lavalava

Back again huh? What a kook.

Southernmost: Yes, and once this flat spell(no waves) is over and the south pacific swells start rolling in, I'll be kooking it at our secret spots down south pulling into 10 foot (Hawaiian size) gaping and spitting empty barrels with just my boyz and me. Ah, to be a kook in Hawai'i. LOL!!

ETA: I used to ride professionally up on the North Shore of O'ahu and had more than a few major sponsors. You're probably the real kook. Smile
a massive expansion of the Pohakuloa military training area

Yes, and they will certainly have more respect for the land and the invisible sky beings which call it their home.
Even from you Kalakoa, that was a pretty insensitive post.

pog
This is one of the comments from the Big Island Video News story.

It pretty much sums up the opposition.

"Most anyone would prefer drinking clean water to telescopes. Most kids would prefer to not grow up sick and dying from toxic Monsanto foods and chemicalized water from TMT. Simple necessities…clean water, air, food."

How would a telescope "chemicalize" the water ?

If you really want a chuckle,read this stuff:

http://www.killerculture.com/articles-wr...mentalism/