Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark, depressing, rainy weather
mary needs a cerebral anal extraction. Homeopathic.
Mary is just going through a normal period of adjustment to living in a new place and ericlp and DanielP are just being mean and petty.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
mary: where is "here" for you? There's huge differences among Hilo, Keaau, HPP, lower Puna, Hawaiian Acres, Fern Forest, etc. As Carol and Carey alluded to, in general during the summer when trade winds are prevailing, there are more days with rain and clouds but less overall rainfall, while in the winter there are more sunny days but the rain is much heavier when it comes (one storm in 2002 dropped 36 inches in 24 hours). At lower elevations (at least in Hilo) the summer rain also tends to be more at night.

Hell, I've had days were I've "oh it's a nice day, I'll ride the bike down to the store" only to be drenched in less than a 1/4 mile. got back to the house and rain gauge is still empty. As I explain to my co-workers on the mainland when they ask "How's the weather there today", this is the land of microclimates.

http://www.wedekingphotography.com
nicely said Carol Smile

We found that within a 20 minute drive from Pahoa area we usually could find a change of weather. Getting past the rain belt area of Hilo and north of Hilo in 5 gallon buckets of water being thrown at our windshield every second just made us pull over, laugh, get out and hoop and holler and dance in it! Give me a bar of soap and I could take a shower since it is at least 70 degrees not the 50 degree and same rain storm qualities in SE Ak.

Mary, I hope you will adjust and come to love the decision you made Smile if you find it is not paradise for you give it 5 years and you will either love it or hate it! In 5 yrs hopefully the property prices will go up and you might be able to sell out and increase your investment Smile
islandgirl
Tom, el Nino is predicdted, and NOAA sent a forecast for this last month. This week, new reports on the drought conditions in India have further confirmed that there is a high likelihood of an el Nino pattern....

NOAA el nino link:
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/an...odisc.html
Part of my house has a plastic roof, so at least it's not dark on the rainy days.
You said the magic word: Hamakua.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
The first time I came to Hilo, I immediately noticed the overhangs everywhere, even the grocery store at Kinoole & Haili. Many houses in Hilo have carports, with overhangs leading to them. I thought "gee, they must really get a lot of rain" to construct rain barrier walkways. A Lot is a relative term, you can go to the weather site & look up annual rain statistics; there are rainfall maps of this island.

After being here for 7 years, living in Kau, Honolulu, Hilo, Ninole & currently Keaau, I love it here. It usually rains during the night & sun during the day. Every time I leave my house at 500'elev. & head to Kapoho, I think "there's no way it's sunny there". Every time, it is sunny there.

I can get depressed on a sunny day if I'm financially or otherwise stressed. When it's raining, I use it as an excuse to not weedeat or do other yardwork. As far as Normal rain, I feel inadequate to answer what normal is. The name of the game for me the last 7 years here has been adapt, adapt, adapt about weather, people, traffic, stores, government, etc. Remembering, I have a choice of where I live, what I do & how I feel.

Mary - yes it has seemed wetter than normal and cooler than normal although we do not live in as rainy an area as others on the East side. I cant live at rain/elevations where the ferns grow. But thats just me. Took me 15 yrs to get out of the rain. My best friend cant live down here with it so dry and warm.

I loved the analogy of "minutes of rain" versus inches of normal rain.

No one can tell you if you made a mistake or not but you. The "average" so and so is just that, an average.

What "me" mean and petty? Come now... How is waiting for a garage sale mean and petty? I see my fan base is growing! Smile I think your just ignorant... As if this was the perfect spot for EVERYONE there wouldn't be half as many garage sales.