Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mail delivery in HPP
In its entirety the passage actually reads:

c. The streets are paved or otherwise improved to permit the travel of Postal Service vehicles at all times, without damage or delay.

HPP's roads meet that criteria, although the one about posted house numbers might be an issue for all of Hawaii Island.

Millions of Americans who live on rural gravel roads get their mail delivered to mail boxes at the end of their driveway, including my Dad who lives somewhere that can have 2 feet of snow on top of ice overnight. His mail is delivered by regular mail carriers, not subcontractors either, and his area has a far lower density of population than HPP too. His place is the smallest on his road at 40 acres, so people are very spread out there compared to HPP.

According to the US Census there were 4,526 households in HPP in 2010, if those households all picked up their mail in Kea'au at a low rate of only 2 times a week that would be over 9000 additional trips to Kea'au. Only 10% of the population is at the retirement age of 65 or over, so most of those trips to get mail would happen during peak commute hours. There is no way the current PO could handle that traffic, in fact there is no commercial building in Kea'au that is set up for that kind of traffic except for in Shipman Industrial Park.

Forcing almost 5,000 households to get their mail by general delivery isn't going to happen either, at twice a week spread out over the 40 hours the PO is open, that would be a rate of 225 customers per hour. Does anyone think any combination of the Kea'au and Pahoa POs can handle that kind of walk in business? Could any current commercial business handle it either? If you do the math at only 3 minutes to serve each customer it would take 10 people to handle the general delivery mail, and that is assuming people come get their mail at an even rate all day, which they wouldn't.

I think this whole thing is idle speculation. It makes sense that the post office doesn't like dealing with vandalized cluster boxes, but they are in no way set up to handle getting mail to the citizens of HPP any other way, and I am sure they know it. In the absence of any direct communication from the Postal Service I am going to assume that this is another case of the coconut wireless taking a baseless rumor and running with it, although out of curiosity I may just call the Kea'au postmaster and ask for verification or denial of these rumors. My husband had a long conversation with him on another matter recently in which there were many openings to say something about any proposed changes and he didn't say a word.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Csgray have you ever heard of reading comprehension? I cannot see how anyone could come to the conclusion that Mac nut was implying that the vandalism of hpp mail boxes was driving the USPS bankrupt! So I'm going to take a few minutes of my time to try an explain it to you, even tho I feel like it would be impossible without crayons! 1. Fact the United States Postal System is losing billions! 2. Every time they have to replace a row of mailboxes or even a lock it cost them money that they don't have " refer back to 1." I've tried to keep it as simple as possible for you! How much do think just one of those boxes cost? Do you think that our lovely post office ladies are out there installing them on their days off? No, they have a contractor that they pay real money "refer back to 1." to pick up the damaged ones and then pick up the new ones and install them. Now for the locks do you also think that our post office lady's go around on their days off servicing and replacing locks? No, they pay a locksmith real money"refer back to 1." to go down there and take off the old broken locks and replace with new ones! I really hope this clears things up for you I really do feel that you have something to contribute if you understood situation
In our neighborhood we paid $2700.00 for 2 CBU'S including shipping.
I installed them at no charge.
It costs $120.00 to join our mailbox Hui and not have to hassle going to the post office.This is a one time fee!The catch is,you have to own a property in our neighborhood.

At the Pahoa post office it costs $54.00 to $130.00 per year for a PO box and they have a wait list.
$2700 I counted 17 that needed to be replaced that's $22,950 and I don't think they would let just anyone replace them now that's CHILLING!!! That's over Thirty Thousand Dollars!
i would pay $120. I've spent more than that in gas going to keaau . put in for a box in lower hpp 7 years ago, stopped bugging them after a couple of years.
Even $30,000.00 is much less than the cost of hiring just one extra postal worker to handle increased traffic at the post offices, or to deliver mail to individual houses. The current system seems to be the cheapest possible way to service the residents of HPP, even with the cost of replacing boxes when needed.
If part of the problem is the danger of vehicles speeding by the mailbox clusters then part of the solution might be to install speed bumps at the mailbox clusters to slow traffic down. Unfortunately, there are drivers that will avoid the speed bumps by driving around the bumps on the shoulders or on the sides of the roads. This discussion reminds me of the problem with dust on the unimproved subdivision roads. The simplest, cheapest solution again is getting people to slow down but that never seems to happen.
I do not understand why gang mailboxes that are damaged by car accidents are not being replaced by the drivers' insurance. Can anybody explain why?

As far as the post office going broke: If I recall correctly there was a postmaster general back in maybe the 70's who decided to subsidize junk mail by increasing the costs of first class mail by real people. Since then the post office has become the largest hard-copy junk mail delivery service in the US. Have you ever seen the pallets of junk mail stacked on the loading docks behind Keaau Post Office prior to delivery?

It seems to me like the best solution to meet everyone's needs would to start charging the driver's car insurance for damaged property, and perhaps look at installing cluster mailboxes off the main roads. The hui would be one such location, and the box in a box idea would work great if there was reasonable zoning and everything wasn't looked at on a case-by-case basis by the Hilo Zoning Commission.

Seems like this problem is easily solved by installing a couple of bollards. The DIY variety can be done with steel fence posts and some quickrete. A few hundred dollars worth of materials and the mailboxes will never have to be replaced again.

More expensive but viable solution is a guard rail. Jersey barriers might be cheaper.

Any way you dice it up, there are off-the-shelf solutions to the car-hitting-mailbox-problem.

Problem solved. Close the thread. Next?
Man, that's what I need in front of my MailBox. Damn neighbor invites his drunk friend to back into his driveway and took out my mailbox in the procrocces. Ah well... at least it only happened once. Smile was an easy fix but kinda frustrated to see your brand new mailbox laying on the ground with a few dents in it. I hope it put some nice scrapes on her truck. Smile Some people around here are really STUPID