Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pohoiki Boat Ramp or Swim Ramp?
okay beachoy I can understand your ideals, however this is not Lahaina & we plan to trailer this boat daily instead of running some run down fishing boat its a clean aluminum work boat. Were willing to run the boat wherever but the demand seems to be the National Park & its just to far from Hilo by boat. A great trip though, on the right day!

As for coat safety, the swimmers and surfers in the area will need a way to be warned, that brings me to the reason this forun was started. Is this a Boat Ramp or a Swim Ramp?

Shane Turpin
Lava Ocean Adventures
The swimmers and surfers aren't going to leave. Guarens.

Hi Shane,
It sounds like you are pretty set on launching your big boat at Pohoiki. I have a suggestion for minimizing hostility between you and the swimmers: Buy a small rowboat, and hire some local kids to ferry your tourists to an from your boat. Then everyone wont have to get out of the way of your big boat, and you can help support the local community. No need for a lifeguard or a warning system.
Steve

Shane, I think your trailer people on shore would be sufficient to let people know whats comming ..... this is what i was talking about before with the communication stuff. I think people would respect that just as much and it can happen right way.

Lifeguard / safety officir ? Don't think I am the only one who feels the biginning ( typo left in ) of the end here. Any meetings should happen right @ the ramp with all those effected able to participate ....

Hey Beachboy, maybe we should combine our talents and build a light weight, foam core cat and run tours for 'friends' / tips with an eye on the lava / water taxi down the road.

my last year of working in Waikiki almost cost me my life! Why? It was during the period when Honolulu had an extreme amount of rain for that area. As a result of this major flooding was happening all over Waikiki. So to help alleviate the problem Mayor Mufi decides to open up the toliet value for the entire area. The mayor's thinking, "why have the tourist swimming in their own turds, when we can jettison their turds to the locals"!?!?!? So the order went through! Next thing you know, the City is pumping thousands upon thousand of gallons of raw sewage into Ala Wai water canal! Two weeks later I'm fighting to keep my leg!
So I have a real concern about your daily dealing with human waste. I know for a fact people get lazy and dump their raw sewage inside of three mile limit too. I've seen that going on in Honolulu, Lahaina, harbors, why should it be any different here?

Plus, I just can't see surfers & swimmers cooperating for you either.

Hey Shane, after seeing picture of your boat. It does kinda have that Disneyland flavor to it with the canopy top. I was wondering, are you guys planing on wearing Safari outfits complete with Pith helmuts, or are you gonna go with the Thurston Howell look from Gilligan's Island?

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Shane,
Why are we even having this discussion? Hello it's Pohoiki boat ramp. I have never in my life ever seen swimming allowed in a boat ramp area. Same thing I have never seen boating allowed in a designated swimming area.

Quote:

Hello it's Pohoiki boat ramp. I have never in my life ever seen swimming allowed in a boat ramp area. Same thing I have never seen boating allowed in a designated swimming area.

Welcome to the Big Island, where things are not always what they seem, much less what they are legally designated.

good evening!

In response to

Shane, I think your trailer people on shore would be sufficient to let people know whats comming ..... this is what i was talking about before with the communication stuff. I think people would respect that just as much and it can happen right way.

I to see this as an answer, if everyone can work collectivly then yes this would work

Shane Turpin
Lava Ocean Adventures
So I guess it's settled. The allready overburdened Pohoiki boat ramp will become a departure hub for you, then other major ocean tour companies. Human waste will be dumped three miles offshore, and the County of Hawaii will get hundreds of dollars a month. I really can't see any benefit to the multitudes of people that allready use the area (except maybe a few fish thrown their way).

With respect, Greg

quote:
So I guess it's settled. The allready overburdened Pohoiki boat ramp will become a departure hub for you, then other major ocean tour companies. Human waste will be dumped three miles offshore, and the County of Hawaii will get hundreds of dollars a month. I really can't see any benefit to the multitudes of people that allready use the area (except maybe a few fish thrown their way).

With respect, Greg

I can see this being the start of something really nasty. Perhaps not right away but in time. In Pohoiki your new boat is gonna stand out like"Dog's Balls", it's gonna be a real eye sore in my opinion! But that's just it, it's my opinion only!

I sure hate to be in your shoes Shane the day you come back the boat harbor tired from a long days work. Then you accidentally run over 'Junior Boy', who is swimming in the harbor with his friends. Then the rest of your life you have to look over your shoulder for 'Junior's' dad!

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!