Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawks in puna?
Unfortunately the alawi are endangered and only live in a few high-elevation forests, mostly around Hakalau. They pick insects from the bark of ohia and koa trees, so they tend to be fairly inconspicuous even when they're around (they also look very similar to amakihi unless you know birds well).
please dont keep your Albizia's alive because you THINK our common endemic I'o likes or needs these or other invasive non-native trees....

the I'o is VERY VERY Common in Puna...
the Owl you see in Puna is the non-native Barn Owl

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
Just saw one yesterday perched on a snag next door.
I've lived on Kaloli Point since January 2016 and have regularly seen I'o cruising around, perching on the ohias, and generally looking awesome. Just this morning we got a great fly by about 10 feet off the ground right past our lanai.
When I lived in Leilani we'd regularly have one sitting high in the tall Ohia, we'd here it take rats or mongooses from time to time. Our chickens faired well and would take cover when it was hunting.
It visited for a few months and then was never heard from again.
The hawks are quite the generalist feeders. They also eat the Hawaiian crow. Statement from below 2016 article on crow reintroduction: "Previous attempts at releasing captive-bred birds back in the 1990s failed because the crows either caught diseases or were picked off by their natural predators, the Hawaiian Hawk."

I wonder if the crow population will survive in presence of these effective hunters.

http://www.audubon.org/news/the-hawaiian...g-comeback