Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meeting and Petition for Pesky Helicopters
thunderfoot, thanks for letting me (us) know about the meeting. I will support it and try to come.

I believe people should be able to enjoy their homes without excessive noise and vibration. I read a study last year that people subjected to regular noise pollution are far more prone to heart attacks and strokes -- noise affects the autonomic nervous system and disrupts it.

Honestly I could care less about people's selfish desires to see lava from the air, but I'm sure it can still be done without flying low over private property.

In Hilo, too, they are out of control flying over the Wailuku River ... and then there is Waipi'o Valley where people live off the grid ... but the helicopters come to view the falls ... it makes me sick really that it's allowed.

It also makes me sad that some people who aren't tortured by overflights have no empathy for those who are.

quote:
Member wjbillock's comments were rude and uncalled for and led to this relevant subject being hijacked.

Web Monitor, you are correct!

Thunderfoot, I apologize.

"What? Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Nueman
"Vote with your money!"
Thunderfoot,

I presume you have contacted County Council/Police/FAA/NPS about your concerns and you were displeased with the response you received ? This is why the choice was made to get the Sierra Club involved ?

It would be nice to know how many Nene and Hawaiian Hawks ( which I see in Leilani all the time ) have been killed or injured due to the Helicopter tours throughout our area. Do you have a number ?

How is VNP not being preserved ?

What are the statistics you have in regards to the aircraft incidents and deaths? How many were caused by mechanical malfunctions vs. pilot error ?

Personally , I truly wish concerned individuals would attempt to find answers at a County or State level rather than bring in an outside advocacy group, which then in turn leads to lawyers and court cases.

We have our Council Representatives for a reason. To represent us.

While we may not agree on each decision he or she makes, they are elected by a majority of the voters.

The seemingly preferred method of bypassing these individuals leads to a very divisive environment. As you have come across in these posts.

The Sierra Club or a lawyer ( sorry Glen Smile isn't always the answer.

Greg Henderson

Sensible advice, Glen

As a private Pilot I have a little experience with the FAA, Flight Rules, ect.

I know that similar situation have come up from time to time throughout the country, and can be solved in a variety of ways:

1. As a group, send a nice letter to the offending companies stating your concerns, and asking for their cooperation in finding a solution. Send a copy to the local FAA office.

2. Address the single most concern, which I believe to be the noise they generate and the flight paths they are using.

3. Ask for Voluntary cooperation first, without threats. Establish your willingness to compromise.

All of the other "reasons" would seem to complicate what you are really trying to accomplish, which is the elimination of noisy overflights.

In my view, involving outside interests before trying the above, is not in the spirit of Aloha.

Just my $.02

Bill

Hi all, new here, recent new-comer to the big island...

Isn't the real issue that helicopter flights, although legal--for now--really represent people who are making private money exploiting the natural beauty of Hawaii? And as they exploit what is held in the public trust--that natural pristine beauty that we all share and have right to--they destroy it? Noise pollution is pollution like any other; and clearly no one is allowed to flick their trash in your yard, or their sewage either--clearly we accept you don't have the right to burn tires on your property and smoke out your neighbors--it seems all but sensible and inevitable that no one has a moral right to make an unbelievable racket over your house either. If we as a society want to continue to allow helicopters to fly, and we might--at least it's reasonable to suggest that people underneath flight paths are entitled to some sort of compensation for the hassle and loss of quality of life. Certainly I'm not anti-business, but we need to realize that some businesses rely on getting something for nothing and taking that which isn't rightfully theirs--that is, a permit to be a pain the ass. It's really just a basic issue of theft.

Cars cause noise pollution you wanna ban them too?

One issue that I have heard mentioned in earlier references to the helicopter traffic has been missing from this thread so far. That is the fact that helicopter tour operators are supposed to pay the National Park fees for overflight. I remember reading in the HTH that the park authorities had actually threatened some sort of action if the fees weren't paid. Does anybody know if that was resolved? Bear and I got buzzed by a tour helicopter on top of Mauna Ulu once, and it was quite unnerving. Maybe the pilot wasn't expecting anybody to be up there, but they got awfully close. We thought we were going to get knocked off the mountain.

Cheers,
Jerry

To Lee G (and others):

Cars that make too much noise actually are illegal. Whether the law is enforced is, of course, another matter.

It is actually the enforcement of existing laws and regulations which may be at the root of the helicopter issue here. Many, many such things are rarely or ever enforced by the local governments. Priorities. So it then becomes the burden of the residents affected and that really should not be.

Personally I think that a group of residents gathering themselves together for a common purpose should be applauded. Taking responsibility for their own issues takes effort.

I also believe that the Sierra Club has a local chapter and should be considered a local interest group.

Lastly I believe that the Sierra Club is likely not quite rich enough or so blessed with pro bono attorneys to sue anyone or everyone as a first effort. Too much expense and time. I would assume that the low cost effects of writing letters, attending meetings, testifying at councils and commissions would be exhausted before suits were filed. Ask any attorney.

Lawsuits are not a practical first resort. Judges will quickly toss out frivolous lawsuits. And the Sierra Club has an impressive record of winning those suits that are eventually filed.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I didn't notice any air traffic while at my lot in Volcano (It was usually overcast). I hope it's not too bad there. I would certainly think an air traffic corridor over a property would be a necessary disclosure for a Realtor. There does need to be some compromise on the issue. The noise does diminish quality of life. It also substantially detracts from the experience at a natural wonder like HVNP. There does need to be some restrictions on the volume of traffic.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Oink's response reminds me of a question I have.

Where is the Nelson Corridor?

Is there a map denoting this permissible flight path?

Do realtors, or sellers need to disclose it if a property is in a regulated and lawful flight path?

I understand when the weather is clouded in the activity slows, diminishes and then vanishes.

Mahalo All

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA