Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rush to put in roads
Actually, I'm in Mt. View. Maybe I'll lose on the next roll.

quote:
Originally posted by OnoOno

Not having the access IS the trade off (in part). Seems like you rolled the dice and might have lost.
quote:
Originally posted by Lee M-S

Since you quoted me, I'll respond. I like being on grid. I'd love to have smooth paved roads, home mail delivery, fast internet, well-planned access routes, and quick response to 911. I could get those in Hilo, but I like it here better, and can live with the trade-offs.

I think the road should have been built decades ago. But better now than never, no use crying over spilled milk, why bother pointing fingers, just build the damn road already.

><(((*< ~~~~ ><(("< ~~~~ ><('< ~~~~ >(>

Ono - So Fast - So Tasty!

><(((*< ~~~~ ><(("< ~~~~ ><('< ~~~~ >(>
quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

The cutting lots in half idea is the most destructive of the bunch.and will meet with the most resistance.

It is rare for an area of 8,800 lots to not have half acre lots. My lot in Pahoa in 1/3 acre and gives me more work than I want to do.

Everything has it's balance of positives and negatives. I tried to maximize the positives and minimize the negatives.

Interestingly, no one in HPP complained when the Keaau By-pass went in. That took out some properties too. Everyone loves not getting jammed up on that single lane road in Keaau. I remember it.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

The cutting lots in half idea is the most destructive of the bunch.and will meet with the most resistance.

It is rare for an area of 8,800 lots to not have half acre lots. My lot in Pahoa in 1/3 acre and gives me more work than I want to do.

Everything has it's balance of positives and negatives. I tried to maximize the positives and minimize the negatives.

Interestingly, no one in HPP complained when the Keaau By-pass went in. That took out some properties too. Everyone loves not getting jammed up on that single lane road in Keaau. I remember it.

Then if there is a house you offer to buy whole lot. give people a choice to buy those 1/2 lots. to run a hiway thru someones yard and not give them enough money to escape is cruel
They would all have to be compensated at market value. That's the major cost of Honolulu's new rail - paying for the land... very expensive land.

Punaweb moderator
Hopefully not. It appears, however, that the lava is moving faster than the government. But then, molten rock isn't necessarily on "Hawaii Time".[quote]Originally posted by Lee M-S

Actually, I'm in Mt. View. Maybe I'll lose on the next roll.

OnoOno, I have no idea what you said above. Use the edit and reduce the quotes please.

Punaweb moderator

Punaweb moderator
The parkway idea is interesting but I agree with Seeb that running a major roadway trough someone's yard and only paying them for the land value lost would not be fair. The county currently assesses virtually all 1 acre lots at between 25 and 27 thousand, half of that won't even provide someone with enough money for a down payment on a new home, but depending on the layout of the land and placement of the house running the parkway through the back half of someone's lot could absolutely destroy all enjoyment of that home and use of their backyard. Most houses have the bedroom in the back, can you imagine listening to someone's taste in music when they head past your house to home at 2 in the morning while you are trying to sleep?

The longer the county waits/has waited to do this, the more people who are going to be negatively affected. New houses go up in HPP every day, and no one knows where the final PMAR route will be, just that it will go through HPP.

So now the county is shoving through a "temporary" solution, under a state of emergency, which means no rules or public input, and we still don't have even a firm line on paper for the PMAR. If the county had just bitten the bullet and and dealt with the inevitable political backlash and put the damn line for the PMAR on paper, then from that point on at least, no one would be surprised to find a parkway running through their yard. Instead people have bought and built all over HPP, including on probably pathways for the parkway, and every year more people will be impacted.

Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Is it possible the county is waiting for federal funding to alleviate the disaster as it happens?

mella l

Art and Science Our Future

bytheSEA
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Most everyone I've ever heard of that was the "victim" of eminent domain made out like a bandit, laughing all the way to the bank.

Not everyone thinks of their home in purely monetary terms, maybe you do, but not everyone else does.

The house I'm in now we could sell out tomorrow and not blink an eye (anyone want a 4 bedroom 3 bath 2 story "treehouse" in HPP?) but the house in Oregon that I lovingly remodeled by hand, that I raised my kids in, that had an amazing yard full of rare plants and trees put in by my husband while he was courting me (the man doesn't believe in buying flowers but he sure planted me flowers) where I watched my daughter learn to walk, being FORCED to sell that house, or losing half the yard to a parkway would have broken my heart. Letting go of that house was the hardest part of deciding to move here, to be forced out by eminent domain would have been devastating, because there is no sum of money to reimburse us for what we would have lost.

There are many people who have equally lovingly hand created their homes here in Hawaii, and you dismiss their attachment to their homes with air quotes around the word victim. I've known people who lost their homes to a bridge project, and they did not make out like bandits, they all got stuck with a very low "take it or sue" settlement offer that was not enough to buy an equal property. In the old boys club of Hawaii I highly doubt that a bunch of mainland transplants with no political connections living in HPP would get enough to relocate after losing half their yard to a parkway.

Carol

Polish Proverb
Carol

Polish Proverb