Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current Feeling on people shopping-dining Pahoa?
Whoa, not so fast. After the lava crosses Village road, it's predicted to cross the 130 Bypass in apparently just a few days, then will cross Kahakai right at Keonopoko Elementary.

I know this is a restaurant/retail thread, but your comment triggered a thought - what's the latest on Keonepoko Elementary? Should any of us within a 250-mile radius be assisting in any way? Will there be any kind of entire-neighborhood gathering there before Conen's et al carry them away in Matson containers?

For years now Keonepoko's been not only a beautiful botanical-garden-like neighborhood showpiece, but a safe caring launching-pad for thousands of bright-eyed talented Puna keiki. Some of the staff have been commuting from Hilo for ages, passing up openings closer to home because they've seen the need and love the community.

Last year they had some kind of night-time family read-aloud program, RAP or something, that would draw 500-some people a night. They're always having special holiday programs, award ceremonies, athletic events. Their Octoberfest parade, or whatever it's called is legendary, and their May Day Ho'olaule'a programs are on par with any high-school, college, adult event. Plus over time their "scores" have continued to rise.

I for one will miss them all when they vacate, and hope someone's considered a beautiful culturally-appropriate send-off, full of happiness and hope.

(Sorry. I probably should have started another thread. Thank you though, if anyone knows what's next for them)
quote:
Originally posted by punafish

Kathy, I guess my image is based on what I saw during ocean entries at Kalapana. You drove as far as you could, horizontally parked, then walked to the lava viewing area. On the way were lots of vendors with tents set up selling their wares. Why wouldn't Pahoa do the same thing? Except...shops in Malama Market would be right there, so no tents (at least LESS tents) would be needed.

Use Maku'u as a park and ride, provide shuttles to the lava from there. The market could normally on Sunday, other days other vendors could sell.
At the Ocean Entry viewing site the County went to great lengths to provide safe viewing for visitors while protecting the property rights of local residents. The County had a signed agreement with the local families to allow access over their land without residents having to deal with liability issues.

The Pahoa flow will be much less static than the Kalapana episode, and more difficult to administer, but I imagine the County will have the same priorities. (Allow safe viewing, if possible, and protect the privacy of local residents.)

I would encourage people not from the immediate area to stay away until a safe viewing site is established and protocols set up. Just coming to lookie-loo is going to create problems for both residents and viewers.

This has been your Hawaii County snorkle Defense, have a safe day.

quote:
Originally posted by punafish

.....You drove as far as you could, horizontally parked, then walked to the lava viewing area. On the way were lots of vendors with tents set up selling their wares. Why wouldn't Pahoa do the same thing? Except...shops in Malama Market would be right there, so no tents (at least LESS tents) would be needed.

have heard direct from some "vendor type" friends living in close Pahoa vicinity that they are indeed scoping out the prospects of setting up some sort of mobile shop catering to lava viewers as you describe, Punafish.

not saying i necessarily condone the opportunist thinking at this exact time, though i do think it is somewhat natural for the vendor-minded to at least have the idea pop into their heads.
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

Oh yeah, Pele's Kitchen and the Bakery are two I have been interested in and have not gotten to try. Pele's was the name I couldn't recall.

What about the student cooks' place? Is that over in the Woodland Center?

I'll be passing this info on, so it's not just for me, but I'm wondering if I can't get there by 11, would it be better after lunch time proper? Do these places keep serving through the afternoon?

I am worried about the smoke though. I get asthma if I breath smoke. I'll be packing an inhaler for sure.

So you guys are OK with tourists and don't feel like they should stay away out of respect or to not clog things up?

Kathy

Both Kaleo's and Luquins are open all afternoon (liquor license)[Big Grin] I encourage everyone to come to Pahoa, have dinner, spend money here, the merchants need it, it may be their last chance. Just stay off peoples lawns and out of the way.
My husband and I had some huevos rancheros at Luquins this morning and there was no problem parking or finding a table. It was very much like the old days minus the Village Café across the street. Then we headed to Pohoiki for a little surf (small but fun) with only 8 people in the lineup. That never happens! The crowds were mellow, small and the day gorgeous. Evident by his bright red torso and "not sunburned" (Ha!) back. An overall pleasant day and except for the road being closed before, not after, the transfer station - business as usual. I did not sense a feeling of hurry or panic at all any where. Laid back and cool even in a crises. Guess it is just island style and one of the many things that make me say, "glad I live Hawai'i"![8D]
This is good to hear and please do keep the topic going with more sharing about how things are in Pahoa (or Pohoiki).

malolo, your post about the school put a lump in my throat. That is such a shame. I don't mind at all to have it mentioned in the thread, but it sounds like this very much deserves a dedicated topic. [Smile]

snorkle, I completely agree with what you said about the lava viewing. It should be "set up" by officials and organized, with sensitivity and safety.

I've been to the Kalapana viewing area when there was the path to view the ocean entry, and to the viewing at the end of Chain of Craters when one could walk up to the lava and it was allowed by the Rangers.

The difference there was no houses being consumed, no large methane explosions, a slow-moving flow on the VNP side, plenty of distance from the ocean entry from Kalapana side. I remember that CD did forbid entry into the Kalapana homes subdivision when the lava came through there, as was right to do.

My thought on a stationary lava viewing at the end of 130 in Pahoa, is that the active flow front is what people mainly want to see, red lava. and as noted that will be a dynamic situation. The lava front should quickly move on once it has crossed 130, and then it will be on private property or destroying infrastructure. Either way it will be complicated in terms of permission and access.

Or am I wrong that going to the end of 130 will only for a relatively short time give a window onto the red lava? Of course it will still be historic and photo-worthy to visit the end of the road.

Kathy
pam_jones... You were smart to do breakfast at Luquin's! [8D]
Packed all through lunch and into dinner. Glad to see the servers and bartenders making some good money. They may need it soon. I wouldn't think that anyone who makes their money based upon tips, would be upset that tourists are freely spending some cash.
We normally gather for at least one meal in Pahoa every weekend...just 'cause it is a midway point for a lot of our friends...

This morning 12 of us gathered at Black Rock...one of the larger informal gatherings we have had... it was much more real for everyone now that there is a road crossed, but we hope to continue our mid Puna get togethers for as long as Madame Pele allows...and maybe, if the routing changes drastically, our mid Puna meetings will be a longer route & be in Volcano sometime in the future...

We did realize yesterday, on our way to a wonderful behind the scenes archive tour at HVNP, that in many ways, Volcano is poised to take on some more of Puna shopping & eating choices, with the old Kiawe Kitchen storefront waiting for the next fine dining, and the 2 story shopping area with the True Value...
The area where Bay Clinic/Recycling station, was super busy! But not with me trying to sell my bottles, but tourists, cameras, and a lemonade stand!!
I love it!!!

LOL

punalvr
punalvr