Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
broadband, anyone?
Yes, I'm on 40th and have DSL also. The Hawaiiantel webpage that you enter your address into to see if you have service available in your area is for OAHU, not the big island.
I have Exede also, 10 gig/mo for about $60. I agree; the difference in speed when we go over 10g isn't very obvious.

And I recently upgraded to Win 10. Didja know you can't control downloads for 10 unless you're on WiFi? So they sucked down at least 5g last month.

I like the design of 10 more than 8, but it makes some programs unstable (Chrome, Accel), and the Start menu doesn't work all the time. Computers, making our lives easier.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
you can't control downloads for 10 unless you're on WiFi?

There is an interface setting for "connection is metered", turn it on and Win10 won't use that connection to download updates.
called Hawaii Telcom. Same thing, couldn't find the address

Telcom doesn't know about "new" street addresses, nor do they understand TMK or GPS coordinates. There are two ways to solve this:

1. Order analog phone service and give Telcom the nearest pole# (and the # on the splice can if there is one). They will ask for a "site survey", meaning "meet them at the lot", and the tech that shows up will have the magical paperwork to create your address in their systems.

2. Find a neighbor who has analog phone service, then call Telcom and explain "we are X lots from this phone number".

Telcom needs 14' pole within 100' of the line, with 2 ground rods; a 4" metal pole is sufficient. They will want a backboard for the NID; a 12" piece of 2x12 is ideal, mount with bent threaded rod, or get the galvanized pipe hanger hardware from Alpha Electric.

Note that Telcom will "generally" not share a pole with HELCO. I have heard that they "might" consider this arrangement with a 6" metal pole at least 16' high (eg, 2' separation between HELCO/Telcom, with Telcom still 14' above ground).

Telcom offers "business" broadband which is available anywhere in the service area, not cheap, but with awesome reliability. Pricing is better when bundled with phone service. Ask your salesperson for a "business-all-in-one" with DIA.

Last-but-not-least: Telcom is "low voltage" and therefore permit-exempt.
Susan - if it comes down to it, get a Verizon MiFi device. It will connect at 4G speed and works just fine with all manner of corporate VPN's. You don't even need a contract. Just select a one month plan with 5gb of data for about $60. It is a good thing to have one as a backup, anyway.
have one as a backup

As a backup, sure -- in my experience, Verizon is great (when it works), but it tends to "go out to lunch" at random (and inconvenient) times, without warning.
It only allows you to choose "metered" if you're on WiFi--not even an option if using a modem.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

you can't control downloads for 10 unless you're on WiFi?

There is an interface setting for "connection is metered", turn it on and Win10 won't use that connection to download updates.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
kalakoa, thanks for all the info. I am going to act on all of it. I sure hope they allow the 6" metal pole share as that's what we are having installed 90 ft inside the property line. It's supposed to be happening today. I appreciate the advice about business broadband. I will check it out.

leilandude, I do have a Verizon mifi provided by my company. I have used it when there on vacation for short periods of time. It's a good back up. They don't want me to rely on it as my main connection. If I cant get the DSL worked out I may get a personal mifi and just suck up the cost.

I have a place to stay with stable internet for 3 of the 5 weeks I need to work while there. I am trying to get established on my own lot this time so when I come back for a longer period in June/July I don't have to ask anyone for a room! It will be so happy when we can finally stay for a long period at our own place.
There are dozens of settings in Win10 for background access to data, etc. Turn them all off unless you actually come across one you need.
Today we DiD get a 6" 24ft pole installed. This was a good contractor experience. Showed up when he said he would. Did the job as as stated. Communicated with us via phone, text and photos. Didn't ask for anything up front. I am paying him promptly tomorrow.