Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CoH takes care of it's burglars
I wouldn't shoot someone that was stealing a weed eater from outside my house. I would, however, tell him that if he didn't stop and lay face down and wait for the cops to come, that I would shoot him. He doesn't know me, and for all he knows, I would shoot him. I wouldn't shoot someone running away that was on my property either. Now, you smash your way into my home while I'm in it...... This happened to me once many years ago near Seattle. I've been through it, and I know what I will do. In that case I held the idiot at gun point till the police arrived. Never fired a shot. Talk about revolving doors! He broke the window in my kitchen door, reached in, unlocked the door, and came inside. I replaced the broken window. He got off with paying me for the glass. My house was the second one that same night that he broke into.
One doesn't really know what they would do in a case like this, till it happens to you. I was only 22 years old at the time (soon to be 62),

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Locking people up in jail is very expensive and the state is broke. That is a very real factor in judicial decisions. Is it worth tens of thousands of dollars to the state to lock up an amateur burglar? Second or third offense, sure. By then he is a professional criminal but if there is a significant chance this was just a dumbass one-off move, take a chance on the punk. The judge did good.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.
Great, so we get the indirect tax of putting up with a sorry ass thief int he neighborhood.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Not as bad as this guy Rob ... With 57... yes 57 prior arrests...This is where the system is broken.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/30109...y-arrested

Work..Consume...Obey - There's your meaning of life....
^ What a Habitual Dirtbag.
57 arrests?
At what point do they decide to keep idiots like this locked up?
Insane.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
Bureau of Justice Statistics: http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/p14.pdf (PDF 1.3M)

Looking at... Table 6 - Imprisonment rates for sentenced prisoners under jurisdiction of state or federal correctional authorities per 100,000 U.S. residents, by sex, December 31, 2013 and 2014

Hawaii ranks among the states with lower incarceration rates per capita (year 2014 total adult - 328 per 100,000)

States with the highest rates include: Louisiana, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Texas.

Looking at... Table 7 - Admissions and releases of sentenced prisoners, 2013 and 2014

Hawaii had the highest increase in admissions at 33.7% between 2013 and 2014. Hawaii also saw a 23.1% decrease in releases during this time period.

"Note:
Counts based on prisoners with a sentence of more than 1 year. Excludes
transfers, escapes, and those absent without leave (AWOL), and includes other
conditional release violators, returns from appeal or bond, and other admissions.
"

------------
ETA:

See also... Figure 3 - Percent change decline or increase in prisoners under the jurisdiction of state or federal correctional authorities, by state, 2013–2014
Department of Justice, Uniform Crime Reporting Statistics - State-by-state and national crime estimates by year(s): http://www.ucrdatatool.gov/Search/Crime/...yState.cfm

Burglary 2012, Crime rate per 100,000 population:

Hawaii - 573.1

Texas - 785.9

Oklahoma - 936.6

Arizona - 807.8

Georgia - 874.9

Louisiana - 915.7

Mississippi - 940.6

I once caught a neighborhood "night crawler" ("meth head") on my property and after exchanging introductions appointed him "Chief of Security", in that if anything came up missing he would be the first one going down since I had his picture on my cell phone with him in the "act". Haven't found anything missing since.
My neighbor, on the other hand caught somebody in his barn and pretty much beat him to a literal pulp, not breaking any bones or crippling him, just beaten good. Neighbor explained if he had crippled him, the judge would rule on the burglars claim that he could no longer work his profession, and would have to support him for the rest of his life. Neighbor said " next time he thinks of breaking in he will also think of how much he hurt the last time for weeks while eating what he can suck out of a straw".

Community begins with Aloha
incarceration ... States with the highest rates include: Louisiana, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Texas.

Burglary 2012, Crime rate per 100,000 population: Texas - 785.9, Oklahoma - 936.6, Georgia - 874.9, Louisiana - 915, Mississippi - 940.6

I can't tell if this is "jailed more offenders" or "more offenders learning while in jail".
quote:
Originally posted by shockwave rider

The debate so far has been incarceration vs. letting them out on minimal supervision to do more crimes. Rehabilitation doesn't seem to be part of the Hawaii criminal justice process.

This is exactly my point. Currently we are doing nothing to address the problem, just trying ineffectively to treat the symptoms. I can see long jail terms for the 57 time repeat offenders, but lets at least have rehabilitation programs in prison to teach them how to integrate properly with society once they get out rather than allow them to learn from their peer group in prison.

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike