Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Court remands TMT sublease
More hope for common ground, or the thirty meter telescope to stay in hawaii.

The approximate price to build this great eye in the sky in this part of the northern hemisphere or on Maunakea, Has now climbed to $1,800,000,000. For ten times that figure they may be able to put this on the moon with a couple Russian's ofcourse,jmo.
Wonder why the total cost to build this tmt has almost doubled in the past year in a half?. Also Is there really still hope that the construction will start on time, in 2018?
JMO here, they don't want this tmt built in the canary islands, or anywhere other than Maunakea period. This is just some kind of ploy by the tmt to see if Hawaii and its residents are still interested. They(TMT) are acting like they will just take this tourist attracting, future nobel prize winning project elsewhere. Probably In hopes that Hawaii will bend, break, or change a few more laws, and try to convince protectors and Hawaiians to change their minds.

For me its a no brainer! Let's see... Very large Eye sore to be reminded of the rest of my life, pain and heartache, risk potential future environmental issues, lose or use precious resources for coming generations, and watch more hawaiians go hungry or homeless. In hopes to see light from the past, or prove we are not alone in the universe, or that god is not real afterall.
Or... Continue to protect the great beliefs and ways of our many past leaders and future generation leaders to come. While also appreciating and respecting rare, sacred, natural, and extremely educational environments like our one and only maunakeas summit. Hmmmm
"Was the Canary Islands one of the sites already tested?"

No. The main site (Roque de los Muchachos Observatory) on La Palma is a great astronomical site for optical work, but not that good for infrared observations. The TMT is an optical/infrared telescope so suspect that site was not tested because it was already known that it wouldn't help exploit TMT's IR capabilities. In addition, Spain is not a TMT partner country and am sure that played a role in not considering La Palma. Chile, on the other hand, has connections with US-led astronomy projects and agreed to site testing in the Andes even if the country is not a direct partner.

ETA: typo fix and additional info.
Gypsy says building the TMT will cause us to "... lose or use precious resources for coming generations, and watch more Hawaiians go hungry or homeless."

What a perversely inverted way of thinking! Creating an environment where no one is going to want to invest in this state or island is guaranteed to produce more homelessness and welfare dependency for Hawaiians. Please enlighten us as to what you and the "protectors" have in mind for an economic development engine for us. I can't wait to hear your plan.
O.K. I'll bite .. Gypsy, please, you keep saying the same thing over and over ... Its like you have never read all the info provided to you BC you keep repeating the same thing + asking the same questions ... Congrats on your sublime trolling.
"watch more hawaiians go hungry or homeless"

Because of a telescope? That wants to invest $1.8B? Please explain your twisted logic.
Continue to protect the great beliefs and ways of our many past leaders and future generation leaders to come.

Sounds awesome -- how much does it pay?
protect the great beliefs and ways of our many past leaders

What if the TMT organization agrees to put to death anyone who walks in the dome's shadow, to help perpetuate the great ways of past leaders? Would that make the telescope more acceptable?

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
haha ... Hawaiian's can apply for food stamps just like anyone else can. Not going hungry anytime soon. Tho, they shouldn't sell em for ICE. If you want something to go, get rid of ICE and Trash on the island... and let's keep TMT! Smile Let's let logic win for a chance? Tho, lucky, most people here have logic and want TMT to stay.
be prepared for robot telescopes in space with artificial intelligence analysis

I'm ready to give up.* When do you suggest we bow down to our robot overlords?

* In more ways than one, pt & gypsy

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Saw on the news last night TMT is looking at other sites.
Puna: Our roosters crow first